Reload this Page >

Can an HDMI cable go bad?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-29-09, 03:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hooked up my PS3 to my 46" Sony Bravia TV on Christmas (both were new) using a 6 foot HDMI cable. Everything worked great. This afternoon my son was playing a PS3 game then switched games, once the new game was in the TV sad "no signal". I was there watching him play video games, he didn't jostle the PS3 or anything.

I tried plugging the HDMI cable into another HDMI port on the TV and I also unplugged it from the PS3 and plugged it back in, no luck.

I took the component video cable that came with the PS3 and plugged that in, the PS3 then worked fine.

Any ideas? Here is a link to the cable:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...Tpk=12-105-828
Old 12-29-09, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Can an HDMI cable go bad?

It is possible, the connector could be damaged or the cable could be kinked or nicked.

More than likely if it was loose it was a hardware handshake issue.

Since you switched games, did the PS3 somehow change settings for a game that was not HD?
Old 12-29-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you buy another, order a few from Monoprice.com to keep on hand. I know that doesn't solve you problem, but in case you are going to purchase any more it should save you some $$$.

I've personally never had an HDMI cable go bad, but that doesn't mean it can't.

Did you try another game or blu ray or DVD in the player to see if Brian's suggestion is correct?

It also sounds like a handshake issue to me as well, now that could be a bad cable, but seems unlikely.

Do you have something else that takes HDMI that you can test the cable with? I'm assuming in the input swapping you powered down the PS3, and that didn't resolve it?
Old 12-29-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I did try a different PS3 game as well as a movie but neither of them worked, still "no signal". I had powered down the PS3 but didn't unplug it. Reading up on handshake issues, it sounds like I just need to unplug the PS3 for a minute or two and see if that fixes it, my guess is that it will. If it doesn't I have a Wii that I can try (I’m assuming the Wii has HDMI output).

And it's funny that you (sniper308) mentioned monoprice, I was going to be placing an order through them later this week for a TV wall mount. I'll toss an HDMI cable onto the order.

Link to the mount at monoprice.
Old 12-29-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
(Iím assuming the Wii has HDMI output).
Pretty sure it doesn't.
Old 12-29-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have an older HDTV that has developed intermittent color distortion when using HDMI. Ive tried half a dozen different cables. Never had the "no signal" problem though. You can also try hooking up a DVD player or another HDMI device just to rule out the PS3 as the source of the problem.
Old 12-29-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Heat View Post
I did try a different PS3 game as well as a movie but neither of them worked, still "no signal". I had powered down the PS3 but didn't unplug it. Reading up on handshake issues, it sounds like I just need to unplug the PS3 for a minute or two and see if that fixes it, my guess is that it will. If it doesn't I have a Wii that I can try (Iím assuming the Wii has HDMI output).

And it's funny that you (sniper308) mentioned monoprice, I was going to be placing an order through them later this week for a TV wall mount. I'll toss an HDMI cable onto the order.

Link to the mount at monoprice.
Interesting... post back after you give it a try. I don't have a PS3, but have a couple of HDMI DVD players and 1 of my 360's has an HDMI output, I occassionally see the no signal during a power on, etc, but not like you are indicating.
Old 12-29-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Pretty sure it doesn't.

The Wii definitely does not have HDMI. Component is the best it can do...
Old 12-29-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I unplugged the PS3 for a few minutes then plugged it back in. Works fine again. I had never heard of the handshake problem, now I know.

On the handshake problems, looks like either the TV is too old or the unit sending the signal need to be unplugged.

Last edited by Heat; 12-29-09 at 11:28 PM.