Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows Live Mail help...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows Live Mail help...

Old 12-28-09, 06:08 PM
  #1  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,421
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Windows Live Mail help...

Wanted to start a stand-alone thread for Mail help.

My mom got a new PC, came with Windows 7. Only mail application that she can manage and that works on it is Windows Live Mail.

I set it all up and set up her old e-mail address that she used with Outlook Express on her old PC with XP.

Basically, the Live Mail is not receiving most of her messages with a verizon.net e-mail. She can send out no problem, but verified she is not receiving. And it isn't even downloaded to the verizon server, which i set up that option.

What I did was also set-up an older e-mail that she used, but stopped bc it was getting spam. It is an optonline.net e-mail.

She seems to be receiving all her e-mails to that account, but cannot send out e-mails from that account. Now, she no longer uses optonline service as she uses verizon, but the e-mail is still functional which may be the reason for not sending out?

Regardless, if it receives, it should send out from an application if I set up her server settings and stuff, right? I mean it can send out using a free mail based account like mail2web.

Either way, I would like to be able to fix her verizon.net account and have her receive all e-mails through it only.

Also, of note, I spoke with her carrier- Verizon, who said all account settings are fine and that it should be working, they did that remote access thing they do. They test e-mailed and of couse it showed up which I think that it is because the PC was powered on, which I know should if powered off, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, called Dell (her PC manufacturer) and Microsoft who don't offer phone support for Live Mail.

I've also turned off her McAfee protection for e-mail/

Anyone know what the hell I am talking about, have had a similar problem and can fix?

Thanks much in advance.

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-28-09 at 06:14 PM.
Old 12-28-09, 07:24 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Posts: 2,827
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
Wanted to start a stand-alone thread for Mail help.

My mom got a new PC, came with Windows 7. Only mail application that she can manage and that works on it is Windows Live Mail.

I set it all up and set up her old e-mail address that she used with Outlook Express on her old PC with XP.

Basically, the Live Mail is not receiving most of her messages with a verizon.net e-mail. She can send out no problem, but verified she is not receiving. And it isn't even downloaded to the verizon server, which i set up that option.

What I did was also set-up an older e-mail that she used, but stopped bc it was getting spam. It is an optonline.net e-mail.

She seems to be receiving all her e-mails to that account, but cannot send out e-mails from that account. Now, she no longer uses optonline service as she uses verizon, but the e-mail is still functional which may be the reason for not sending out?

Regardless, if it receives, it should send out from an application if I set up her server settings and stuff, right? I mean it can send out using a free mail based account like mail2web.

Either way, I would like to be able to fix her verizon.net account and have her receive all e-mails through it only.

Also, of note, I spoke with her carrier- Verizon, who said all account settings are fine and that it should be working, they did that remote access thing they do. They test e-mailed and of couse it showed up which I think that it is because the PC was powered on, which I know should if powered off, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Also, called Dell (her PC manufacturer) and Microsoft who don't offer phone support for Live Mail.

I've also turned off her McAfee protection for e-mail/

Anyone know what the hell I am talking about, have had a similar problem and can fix?

Thanks much in advance.
Is this how you did it?

http://www.verizon.net/central/vzc.p...ay&objId=42096
Old 12-28-09, 07:28 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: in da cloud
Posts: 26,196
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Or download thunderbird
Old 12-28-09, 08:25 PM
  #4  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,421
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post
yes it is, but this is Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail not Vista Mail, but i don't think that makes a difference with those instructions, seems exactly the same. thanks.

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-28-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 12-29-09, 09:54 AM
  #5  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 70,875
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
Regardless, if it receives, it should send out from an application if I set up her server settings and stuff, right?
Not necessarily. Two different protocols are used for sending and receiving, so just because one is working doesn't mean the other will.
Old 12-29-09, 10:24 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 1999
Location: USA
Posts: 12,272
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Originally Posted by scott1598 View Post
yes it is, but this is Windows 7 with Windows Live Mail not Vista Mail, but i don't think that makes a difference with those instructions, seems exactly the same. thanks.
There was also a recent port change

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...One/124274.htm
Old 12-29-09, 10:45 AM
  #7  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,421
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

Originally Posted by Brian Shannon View Post
There was also a recent port change

http://www22.verizon.com/Residential...One/124274.htm
thanks Brian. they actually changed the port to 587 when i was remote access with them. but it is the incoming with verizon account, not outgoing. very frustrating...

Last edited by OldBoy; 12-29-09 at 10:56 AM.
Old 12-29-09, 04:52 PM
  #8  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,421
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

does anyone have Verizon service and have had a similar problem?
Old 12-30-09, 03:46 PM
  #9  
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY
Thread Starter
 
OldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Are any of us really anywhere?
Posts: 38,421
Likes: 0
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: Windows Live Mail help...

anyone at all...

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.