Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

dual boot with windows

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

dual boot with windows

Old 12-27-09, 04:34 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 1,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dual boot with windows

i installed win7 but having problems running certain apps. XP Virtual machine mode also will not run them.

if i install xp on another partition, how do i switch between the 2 OS?
Old 12-27-09, 06:00 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Stuck doing T.P.S. repots for Lumbergh!!!!
Posts: 2,485
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dual boot with windows

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
i installed win7 but having problems running certain apps. XP Virtual machine mode also will not run them.

if i install xp on another partition, how do i switch between the 2 OS?
I had the same issue you were having. What I did is dual-boot XP and Windows 7 in order to use some of my old software. Windows XP and 7 need to be installed on the same drive but a different partition.
Old 12-28-09, 12:10 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Special Edition
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: New York, N.Y.
Posts: 1,712
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dual boot with windows

so how do you switch between the 2 OS?
i read that you need to install xp first before installing win7 otherwise it will always boot xp. Is this right?
Old 12-28-09, 10:52 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dual boot with windows

Originally Posted by TheKobra View Post
I had the same issue you were having. What I did is dual-boot XP and Windows 7 in order to use some of my old software. Windows XP and 7 need to be installed on the same drive but a different partition.
It doesn't have to be on the same drive, just different partition.
Old 12-28-09, 10:55 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,291
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: dual boot with windows

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
so how do you switch between the 2 OS?
i read that you need to install xp first before installing win7 otherwise it will always boot xp. Is this right?
You would install XP first, and then install Windows 7 in another partition. Windows 7 will recognize XP. During the bootup, there will be a boot menu for which OS for you to choose from. Some backup software like Acronis offers boot manager that will do what you are asking for.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.