Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

need advice on buying a dvd for the computer

Old 01-12-01, 09:44 PM

I was looking at a 12x no name dvd player at compusa for $79 after rebate. I heard the pioneer and the toshiba are the best. What makes them better? I saw a place online that has the 16x pioneer for only $87. It is a oem without software I think. Do I need anything else and would this player be that much better?
Old 01-12-01, 10:25 PM
X
Administrator

All I can tell you is that people are very happy with the Pioneer -- myself included. It seems to have no issues as to what it can read or how it performs on difficult DVD's.
Old 01-12-01, 11:38 PM

This drive is oem. Do I need the software or is a popular used software available online?
Old 01-12-01, 11:47 PM
X
Administrator

If you want to play DVD's, you can buy PowerDVD for around $50, maybe less. I bought an AOpen 1640 Pro that came with it for around $120.

Not that I advocating it or anything, but I did get a really long lasting "trial" copy somewhere on the internet. And the Pioneer can be "upgraded" to be regionless if you're brave.
Old 01-12-01, 11:56 PM

I would go with a Toshiba (that is what I have). The Pioneer one would be my second choice though (good drive but a bit noisy). The Toshiba can read anything, even scratched CDs (and DVDs). Of course if the scratch is too big it won't read it well... Also if you a CD burner and you want to backup CDs, a Toshiba is a must have!

I would suggest you to try WinDVD 2.3 (there is a trial version). I tried Cinemaster, PowerDVD and WinDVD but WinDVD has the best image and sound quality but it requires a fast computer. PowerDVD has more features though.
Old 01-13-01, 10:16 AM

Thanks for the advice about the toshiba. Do you know anywhere that sells it at a good price? Why is it a must for making backups?
Old 01-13-01, 04:18 PM

It is good to backup games that are safedisc protected because it reads all the sectors with errors correctly and it is fast (It took 20 min to make a legal backup of UT with my Toshiba... I tried it with a CreativeLabs and it took 8 hours to read the CD! And the worst part is that the backup made using the Creative didn't work...)
Old 01-16-01, 12:20 AM

I saw a 12x toshiba drive for sale at buy.com Is this a good price? Also, it says it does not come with software. Is this a big minus. I know there are lots of free programs online but i am not familar with dvd programs. I do not know if I should really look for something that has software with it.