Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

what do you know about the pioneer 16x dvd rom drive?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what do you know about the pioneer 16x dvd rom drive?

Old 01-15-01, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk God

i posted awhile back for suggestions on an inexpensive dvd rom drive, and decided to get the pioneer 16x.. its already been ordered, so dont tell me its garbage

just curious from the people that have them, what do you think of it?

i paid about $80 for it and picked up another 128mb of pc133 sdram at the same time for $40..

Old 01-15-01, 03:12 PM
X
Administrator

Which one is it -- tray or slot. I have the AOpen verion of the slot. Love it. Very cool, very fast, and very useful with the firmware that turned it into a regionless Pioneer. Pretty noisy when revving up to full speed, not bad for 1x DVD's.
Old 01-15-01, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk God

PIONEER **Pioneer 16X DVD/40X CDTray Loading, 33.3MB/Sec with Volume Control OEM Drive
Old 01-15-01, 03:28 PM
X
Administrator

If anything, I would think the tray model would be quieter. The slot seems to emit some of the noise. When I cover it up it's much quieter. You'll like it. And go here for your new firmware needs: http://209.1.224.15/progressramsoftn.../firmwares.htm .

Just be very careful to read through all the information and select the correct firmware for your model. And be patient while doing the flash -- it's extremely slow. And beware that you could ruin your drive.
Old 01-15-01, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk God

damn, I really feel like an idiot now.. I jumped out there and ordered this thing and didnt pay any attention to whether its ide or scsi.. Im not running scsi in my home computer now.. so I go back to accessmicro and look, and of course they dont say, and their product number does not match pioneer's product numbers, so I cant really check it out on pioneer's page.

the bad thing is, I have an MIS degree and have been working in user support for years.. so its really bad that I didnt check that out before buying..

dammit
Old 01-15-01, 03:52 PM
X
Administrator

Chances are, for that price, and the stated 33.3MB/Sec, it's IDE. What model numbers do they provide?

Never mind, I looked it up. I'm pretty certain it's IDE.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 15, 2001).]
Old 01-15-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk God

yea, i went out to pioneer's site.. there is one scsi and 2 ide drives listed at 16x, but the seek time of the one I ordered matches the seek times of one of the ide drives

its still pretty embarrassing to place an order like that without paying any attention to whether its ide or scsi.
Old 01-15-01, 04:37 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by X:
Chances are, for that price, and the stated 33.3MB/Sec, it's IDE. What model numbers do they provide?

Never mind, I looked it up. I'm pretty certain it's IDE.

[This message has been edited by X (edited January 15, 2001).]

I guarentee it's not SCSI. Pioneer's fastest SCSI is 10x40x (2 different models from what I've seen - 304s & 305S).

If you want my oppinion, a 10x40 (IDE or SCSI) will be plenty fast enough for anything CD or DVD related that anybody will have the need for the time being (and in the near forseable future). It will also cut down on noise and should create a lower wait time for spin-up.

But definately, get a slot loader. They are extremely convinient. You will not regret it.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-15-01, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk God

quote:
Originally posted by Jason Northrup:

I guarentee it's not SCSI. Pioneer's fastest SCSI is 10x40x (2 different models from what I've seen - 304s & 305S).

If you want my oppinion, a 10x40 (IDE or SCSI) will be plenty fast enough for anything CD or DVD related that anybody will have the need for the time being (and in the near forseable future). It will also cut down on noise and should create a lower wait time for spin-up.

But definately, get a slot loader. They are extremely convinient. You will not regret it.

hehe, now you tell me.. i ordered it 6 hours ago and its already shipped.. oh well, i got the 16x tray model.
and I guess even if it was scsi it wouldnt have been too much of a problem, because i do have an extra adaptec scsi card laying around that I just havent bothered using, but pulled out of one of the systems we were trashing up here at work..
Old 01-15-01, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

yea, i guess you are right.. their highest scsi is 10x, it was just mixed in with the 16x ide drives on their webpage..

after looking around, it appears I got the DVD-115 ATAPI.. Im satisfied for the price, especially considering its going to be a birthday present to me from someone.. just cant decide who Im going to let it be from yet

[This message has been edited by twikoff (edited January 15, 2001).]