Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about WIFI...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about WIFI...

Old 12-21-09, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about WIFI...

I'm pretty good with computers, having built all of mine since my first back in '95 (a Packard Bell)

But I know nothing about networking or WIFI. I like hardwired much better, but the wife wants a new netbook or notebook for the living room.

I have a Mobo with dual lan...I want to keep my computer wired but share the other lan connection with the wifi router.

So here's the question. Do I just plug in a WIFI router to the spare LAN port? Do I use a regular CAT5 or a crossover cable?

I'm using Win 7 on my computer now, not sure what will be installed on the notebook I end up getting...maybe XP.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me.
Old 12-21-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Question about WIFI...

You can get a router that supports both wifi and hardwire. I think most do. My router (linksys wrt54g) is plugged into my cable modem. There are then 3 outputs on the back if the router. You can use one of those to connect to your desktop PC.
Old 12-21-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yes, definitely get a router with both wired (for your computer) and wireless (for her computer) and connect that directly to the modem. This will give you the advantage of a hardware firewall, plus running her computer through your computer will slow both of their connections down (at least I have seen this happen in the past).
Old 12-21-09, 12:09 PM

thanks for the input...i'll have to take a look at Best Buy when I'm shopping for the netbook.

I hate messing with routers, but with everything going internet these days, it's pretty much the only option.

My wife is even looking at getting a new treadmill that has internet access built into it. Now that's a little much.
Old 12-24-09, 10:20 PM

I have a quick Wi-Fi quandry that I was hoping someone could help me with. I have a wireless network in my house using a Linksys wireless router. However, the router is at one end of the house while several things (laptop, Xbox 360, etc.) that I use the wireless signal for are on the other end of the house, and they don't get that strong a signal. What would be my best remedy for strengthening my wi-fi network signal strength at the other end of the house (preferably without having to run any network cables across the house)?
Old 12-24-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Look into a Wi-Fi range extender/ bridge.

Last edited by Decadance; 12-24-09 at 11:23 PM.
Old 12-25-09, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Decadance View Post
Look into a Wi-Fi range extender/ bridge.
Any reccomendations on a good quality one that won't break the bank?