Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Video card and hard drive recommendations

Old 12-20-09, 09:36 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Video card and hard drive recommendations

New question about power supply below.

A few questions for you.

I would like to get a new video card. I currently have a x1300 radeon that I think is 4 or 5 years old. I do not play games on my computer, so that isn't important. Mainly watch movies, listen to music, and cruise the net. What I am looking for is a card in the $100-$150 range that has HDMI out so I can connect it to my plasma and monitor at the same time. What is the best and most reliable card in that range. I am not brand or chip loyal, so it can be nvidia.

Another question about the video card. Is it possible to send out sound through the hdmi output? If so, how do you do it? Do you need to connect the video card to the sound card in some way? Would I need to buy a new sound card too.

Lastly, looking for a reliable 1T-2T hard drive. Reading reviews on Newegg is useless. Everyone on there sounds like the xbox-ps3 retards arguing back and forth. I do not need the fastest hard drive, just has to be reliable. Used for movie and music storage.

Last edited by Lt Ripley; 12-21-09 at 06:31 PM. Reason: Added question about power supply
Old 12-21-09, 03:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Video card and hard drive recommendations

If you want HDMI with sound included look for one of the new ATI cards(500 series) in your price range. In newegg there are around 9 cards below $150.
You can also look into the 400 series, also from ATI, if you want to go lower in price.

For hard drives, Seagate and Maxtor are fine. Both of them fail, both of them work fine. I've had both of them and zero issues. There are some documented issues with some Seagate drives but I've never had any issues. Right now in 3 different PCs at home I have 2 Maxtors and 3 Seagates and zero issues.
Old 12-21-09, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't know about the Maxtors, but the Seagate drives I have are very quiet if that is an issue. I've also had no problems with Seagate. I've never used my ATI 4850 with the HDMI but I'm sure it will output 5.1 sound through the HDMI cable.
Old 12-21-09, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Given that you don't game. Any budget range 4xxx series radeon with native HDMI will do what you want. Link. Once you install the drivers for a card with native HDMI, it automatically becomes your default sound device for your PC, you don't have to do anything.
Old 12-21-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

read this for video card guidance

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...arts,2303.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...5970,2491.html

money is the limiting factor

Then check some deal sites to find the best price on the card in your price range (techbargains, fatwallet, etc)

as for the hard drive - Western Digital BLACK series. Very well built drives and the better than average performance is an added bonus.

Last edited by 4KRG; 12-21-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-21-09, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Would HDMI work on a monitor with a resolution of 1024x768 or 1366x768? HDCP should not be an issue as long as the monitor/tv has HDMI inputs?

Those $35 HDMI video cards are really tempting.
Old 12-21-09, 06:30 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies guys. I got freaked out when you mentioned that the video card would become the defacto sound device. I am currently using a X-Meridian to feed a tube amp (analog) for my Grados. Took me a while to find the perfect op amp combo for the X-Meridian and tube amp. Now I have a little slice of heaven and am not going to give it up till it dies.

Anyway, I have an extra case with mobo and ram laying around, so I will buy a cheap cpu and power supply and move the sound card into it. Use it strictly for music.

The reason I wanted HDMI out to begin with is that the panasonic plasma computer input only does 720P. I am not concerned with HD audio, just need stereo sound to go to the plasma. This is for my bedroom, not the home theater.

If I buy a HIS H467QS1GH Radeon HD 4670, and my sytem is as follows:
Asus A8R-MVP
2 gig ram (forgot speed)
2 hd's
AMD 64 X2 4200+ 2.2 GHz
A few fans

what size power supply would I need? If the power supply I am using runs the system with the x1300 Radeon now, will it run it fine with the new video card, or should I get a bigger one? Not sure of the size of the power supply in the system right now.

Thanks for the info on hard drives too. I won't be running raid, so I will look for what you suggested.
Old 12-22-09, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
Would HDMI work on a monitor with a resolution of 1024x768 or 1366x768? HDCP should not be an issue as long as the monitor/tv has HDMI inputs?

Those $35 HDMI video cards are really tempting.
As long as the display has an HDMI port it should be fine.
Old 12-22-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

You'd only need a 350 watt power supply (if that - 300 would probably work) for that setup. The AMD 64 X2 4200+ is a power effecient chip and runs off 65W of power. Most non-hardcore videocards don't eat up that much power, though the bigger/newer ones do require 6-pin or 8-pin connections from the PSU directly.

You could probably get away with getting an Nvidia 210-series graphics card, but there are conflicting reports about it's sound-via-HDMI capabilities. Supports 1080p playback annd can be had for around $40.