Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Motherboards with USB 2.0?

Old 01-14-01, 09:42 AM
Needs to provide a working email

I'm looking to buy a new motherboard/CPU and was wondering; are there any motherboards on the market yet which support USB 2.0, which will have a maximum speed of 480 mbs as opposed to 1.1's 12 mbs?
Old 01-14-01, 11:49 AM

I asked the same question a week ago and there was no response. I'm also shopping for a new MB, so far I haven't seen it proposed at any of the sites I've visited, Asus, Iwill or Gigabite. I do know that the Licensing will be free for any manufacturer to use. I think I will e-mail the question at the Maximum PC site and see if I get a response. I'll post if I get a bite.
Old 01-14-01, 10:29 PM
Needs to provide a working email

quote:
Originally posted by GroundZero:
to use. I think I will e-mail the question at the Maximum PC site and see if I get a response. I'll post if I get a bite.

Thanks. Slashdot might be a good place to ask, too, if you're a member. I want a new mobo, but I'm hesitant to buy one that I know will have an outdated port in only a month or two.
Old 01-14-01, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I am pretty sure that as of right now there are none shipping.

here is some good info on USB

http://usbman.com/USB%202%20News.htm

let you all know if I hear anything.

Clip from anohter article

"Road to mass deployment

Initial support will come in the form of add-in cards, using a host controller from the likes of NEC or Lucent. "But you won't see mass deployment until it makes it into chip sets," Brookwood said, "and that won't be until the third quarter of 2001." High-speed scanners and storage devices, products drastically limited by the bandwidth of USB 1.0, look to be the first devices rolled out. "

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 14, 2001).]