Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Photoshop help, please?

Old 01-13-01, 03:07 AM

I am trying to print a new cover for my missing Enemy of the State keep case, and I am running into problems.

I need to make sure the cover prints out at the right size (approx 10.7 inches wide, and 7.25 inches tall).

How do I make the image "fill" the entire canvas area? I adjusted the canvas size to the above dimensions, but I can't find the place to make the image bigger.

What am I missing? (Besides intelligence?)

------------------
"My name is Schwartz."
"My name is Wartz."
Old 01-13-01, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by heimerSWT:

What am I missing? (Besides intelligence?)

A photoshop manual

if you are still stuck tomorrow I will jump in no time now.....
Old 01-13-01, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Go to the Image menu. Select "Image Size..."

Change the width to 10.7. If "Constrain Proportion" is checked (and greyed out), the height will automatically change to a scaled up version of the same ratio.
Old 01-14-01, 03:55 PM

stevevt, I already did that. I still can't get the image to change sizes.

------------------
"My name is Schwartz."
"My name is Wartz."
Old 01-14-01, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does this help any?

To change the print dimensions and resolution of an image:

1 Choose Image > Image Size.
2 Change the print dimensions or image resolution or both:

To change only the print dimensions or only the resolution and adjust the total number of pixels in the image proportionately, make sure that Resample Image is selected. Then choose an interpolation method, as described in Choosing an interpolation method.
To change the print dimensions and resolution without changing the total number of pixels in the image, deselect Resample Image.

3 To maintain the current proportions of image width to image height, select Constrain Proportions. This option automatically updates the width as you change the height, and vice versa.
4 Under Print Size, enter new values for the height and width. If desired, choose a new unit of measurement. Note that for Width, the Columns option uses the width and gutter sizes specified in the Units & Rulers preferences.
5 For Resolution, enter a new value. If desired, choose a new unit of measurement.

6 Click OK.

To return to the original values displayed in the Image Size dialog box, hold down Alt (Windows) or Option (Mac OS), and click Reset.
Old 01-14-01, 04:49 PM

Thanks for the help, but I kind of did it in a weird way.

For some reason, the image size (when printed) is almost half the size of the Photoshop dimensions. Is this something that should surprise me? Or does Photoshop always have different ideas when it comes to the term "inches"?

I had to say the image was about 21.5 inches wide in order to get it to the right width...and then it still was wrong!

Finally, I just decided to save the image to a jpeg, then I went to ACDSee and printed the image to the right proportions.

I can't believe how hard it was to do this apparently simple task.

Thanks for helping.

------------------
"My name is Schwartz."
"My name is Wartz."