Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a network-capable scanner?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Suggestions for a network-capable scanner?

Old 01-10-01, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At work, we currently use a HP Network ScanJet 5 (quite old, quite useless). I'm doing some research for buying a new one, and I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions.

A few details about our setup:
- Windows 2000 network
- Microsoft Office 2000
- currently token ring, but soon to be ethernet (woo-hoo!)

It would need to be color, have a feeder for multiple pages, and of course be networkable (i.e. - every user on the network is visible from the scanner itself, and the document can be sent right to their PC).

FYI - I know lots of people are up on HP scanners, but I want to avoid another one if at all possible. It's been a total headache to use, the server-side software is difficult, the pages that come out are sometimes unreadable, and tech support flat out sucks.

Sorry for the HP rant. Anyway, I'd appreciate any input you guys have.

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 01-14-01, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So....... Anyone have a suggestion?

------------------
Professor Frink, Professor Frink, he'll make you laugh and make you think. He likes to run and then the thing with the ... person. Oh boy, that monkey is going to pay.
Old 01-14-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not since you don't like HP

avoid network scanning, not so great from anyone.

Buy a bumch of cheaper HP scanners and hook them up individually or do what I do, have a scanning workstation setup where anyone can go use it (local scanner that is) have them log in as their own user and copy any scans they make to their home directory on the network. This allows you to load one license of photoshop, acrobat, or whatever and let people do their thing and then get their work off their home drive when they get back to their office. Depending on you size and volume of scan work this works great.

otherwise rots-o-ruck
Old 01-14-01, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's funny you should mention that, 4KRG. We happen to have a second scanner with that exact setup. Unfortunately it also kinda sucks.

So, if one wasn't looking to have a networkable scanner, I'm sure there are some decent ones out there for a good price? (After a recent purchase of 100+ workstations, 6 laptops, a new server, and several laser printers, there isn't a lot left in the budget. You know, government work).

------------------
Old 01-14-01, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The 'above joe six pack' range of scanners from HP are very nice, give them a second shot.

I like the 5370 and if course the 6300 if that is not out of range.

http://www.shopping.hp.com/cgi-bin/h...name=store.cgi