Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

parallel port

Old 12-14-09, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
parallel port

i just built a new computer which does not have a parallel port and i have an old printer with only a parallel port.

i bought this and to my surprise, it does not fit my printer's parallel port.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My printer's parallel port has 25 pins and this one is much bigger.
Looks like i bought the wrong one. Is this the one i should've gotten?

Old 12-14-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: parallel port

I can't help you out with that but thanks for bringing this issue up. I'm getting a new computer in January and I hadn't thought about checking for a parallel port. I need one for some remote control hardware so I'll also need to find a work around of some sort.
Old 12-14-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can't help you with your specific question, but my printer is also a parallel port machine and my newest (3 years old now) computer doesn't have a parallel port. I just went into a B & M & specifically bought a USB to Parallel Cable - I was then able to see what I was getting. It worked (and still does). By the way - the package said "for legacy printers".
Old 12-14-09, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
My printer's parallel port has 25 pins and this one is much bigger.
Looks like i bought the wrong one. Is this the one i should've gotten?

Yep. IEEE 1284 is a 36-pin connector that a lot of (usually older) parallel port printers used. DB25 is the 25-pin version.

Originally Posted by mugwump View Post
I need one for some remote control hardware so I'll also need to find a work around of some sort.
Be warned that USB-to-parallel-port cables typically work with printers and nothing else. Your best bet is to make sure your new PC has a free PCI slot and then got an aftermarket PCI parallel port card.
Old 12-22-09, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The classic parallel printer cable came in two or more flavors:
*Both cables have a DB25M on computer end to plug into DB25F on computer
*One has Centronix 36M at printer end, one has a mini-Centronix 36 male at printer end. Many HP printers use mini-Centronix.
*Depending on brand, there may be other variations at printer end.

The USB-parallel converters come in a few flavors.
*There is a USB to Centronix 36M that plugs into the large Centronix on some printers.
*There is a USB to DB25F. It acts like the parallel port on the back of a computer. You plug your EXISTING printer cable into this cable.

*There may be a USB to mini-Centronix, but I couldn't find it (or it may have been discontinued, I got mixed stories). I did see a mini-Centronix to full size Centronix adapter,but it looked huge and clunky.

I bought the USB to DB25F and plugged my existing (HP) printer (and its cable) into it. Works fine. Be sure to plug USB into computer first, nothing on printer end. Get the USB printer driver loaded, then plug into printer and load printer driver. On Windows 7, these load automatically; on older, you may have to load the driver. My old HP 1100 Laserjet works great with Windows 7.