Reload this Page >

Anyone try\using Ubuntu 9.10?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-12-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm using it now and I gotta say.....I love it. The installation disc you create from the iso image is so user friendly you can pretty install the system with your eyes closed.

Chrome just came out for linux\Ubuntu as well and although still in beta, it works great.

Driver detection\availability has picked up greatly since the earlier versions (5.0 and on) and I had no headaches in getting anything to work.

My graphics cars\driver is being used in full as well - the system looks great.

If you are unfamiliar with Ubuntu\Linux don't let it intimidate you if you've always wanted to try it - they really did a great job with cleaning things up and there is support available everywhere for this system.

I just need to figure out how to RDP into my windows system at work via my secure web VPN and I'll be all set.

Anyone else using it? Thoughts?
Old 12-12-09, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone try\using Ubuntu 9.10?

I've tried it and think it's crap. If you want a desktop nix then buy a mac or build a hackintosh
Old 12-13-09, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm using it too. Works pretty well. It's the desktop that I have besides my work laptop so I ended up using it more than my home desktop that has Windows 7 (with an SSD and stuff!).

I love that it just works. Pretty reliable for server stuff, streaming media, etc. and most of the day I have Firefox and a Twitter client running with no issues.

The only thing I can't use here is ESPN360*, but that's fine for me.

*I can use wine, vmware or some emulator, but that's just too much work for one site, I'd just walk a few steps and use the Windows 7 desktop.
Old 12-13-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
I've tried it and think it's crap. If you want a desktop nix then buy a mac or build a hackintosh
You wrote almost the exact same thing in the previous thread:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/tech-talk/5...ternative.html
Old 12-13-09, 08:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
Ooops.....Sorry - mods - please feel free to delete this thread - I'll use the one in Jay's post.
Old 12-15-09, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I tried 9.10 (upgrade from 9.04) and it was nice but stopped recognizing blank DVD's so I couldn't burn them. Then I messed up the xorg.conf file trying to get some open source drivers for my video card to work so went back to 8.04.
Old 12-15-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
I tried 9.10 (upgrade from 9.04) and it was nice but stopped recognizing blank DVD's so I couldn't burn them. Then I messed up the xorg.conf file trying to get some open source drivers for my video card to work so went back to 8.04.
That's odd. I finally figured out how to RDP from Ubuntu into my work desktop (via secure web VPN) not as hard as I thought it was and the best part is that there are no outside applications needed - just run a simple java command and setup a unix\sudo root password and I was off and running.
Old 12-15-09, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jay G. View Post
which is why desktop linux is 1% of the market share and Apple is growing it's market share

if you have a problem with Ubuntu you're supposed to go read the forums where people tell you to RTFM noob. with Apple you go to the apple store and they show you how it's done or fix the hardware problem. linux comes on the cheapest of the cheap computers where the warranty is useless
Old 12-15-09, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

which is why desktop linux is 1% of the market share and Apple is growing it's market share

if you have a problem with Ubuntu you're supposed to go read the forums where people tell you to RTFM noob. with Apple you go to the apple store and they show you how it's done or fix the hardware problem. linux comes on the cheapest of the cheap computers where the warranty is useless
OS X Leopard - $280
Snow Leopard Upgrade - $25

Ubuntu - $0

Lack of tech support is kinda expected eh?

My experience has been that is just as easy to get answers for Ubuntu as it is for Windows (I've never tried an Apple OS but I have doubt the tech support is excellent [which you pay for]). I don't think I'd use Ubuntu on it's own, maybe after using it for a while on a Laptop dual booting with Windows just in case. It sure is nice to have something that can do so much available for free.

Last edited by Nifty03; 12-15-09 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OS X Leopard - $280

Ubuntu - $0

It should be noted that you can get tech support for Ubuntu, if you pay for it. Canonical, the company that develops Ubuntu, sells tech support packages:
http://www.ubuntu.com/support/services

Also, computer manufacturers that distribute Ubuntu on their machines will provide tech support, in the same way the manufacturers that distribute Windows PCs provide tech support.
Old 12-15-09, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OS X Leopard - $280

Ubuntu - $0

My experience has been that is just as easy to get answers for Ubuntu as it is for Windows (I've never tried an Apple OS but I have doubt the tech support is excellent [which you pay for]). I don't think I'd use Ubuntu on it's own, maybe after using it for a while on a Laptop dual booting with Windows just in case. It sure is nice to have something that can do so much available for free.
OS X and Windows are the same price, $0 when you buy a new computer because they are included with a new computer

Apple and Dell/HP pricing is either the same or different depending when you buy a computer. big difference is the features that apple pushes compared to Dell/HP
Old 12-15-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OS X and Windows are the same price, $0 when you buy a new computer because they are included with a new computer.
Just because their price is included in the overall total when buying a PC, it doesn't mean they don't cost anything.

Apple and Dell/HP pricing is either the same or different depending when you buy a computer.
Wow, they're either the same or different? That really narrows it down.
Old 12-15-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

with the price of iMacs compared to Dell's and HP's it's almost like Apple is giving SL away for free

might get a tricked out MBP next year. sick of how HP laptops seem to self destruct and the support sucks
Old 12-15-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

with the price of iMacs compared to Dell's and HP's it's almost like Apple is giving SL away for free
Really? Do you have a comparison to show?
Old 12-15-09, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

OS X and Windows are the same price, $0 when you buy a new computer because they are included with a new computer

Apple and Dell/HP pricing is either the same or different depending when you buy a computer. big difference is the features that apple pushes compared to Dell/HP
Apple and Dell/HP are similarly priced on AIOs vs iMac. This makes sense since Dell and HP are still relatively new to the market compared to Apple.

Other models (standalone desktops and Laptops) are substantially cheaper as a PC.

Not a big fan of the AIOs or iMacs (think they're kind of goofy looking), but they have nice monitors.

Ubuntu 9.10 isn't trying to be a desktop for everybody ... yet. It has a long way to go. But it is free and works extremely well for those that know how to use it. That said, it gets major credit for allowing the user to decide how they want it to look and feel.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-15-09 at 06:23 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

$0
Old 12-15-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
Apple and Dell/HP are similarly priced on AIOs vs iMac. This makes sense since Dell and HP are still relatively new to the market compared to Apple.

Other models (standalone desktops and Laptops) are substantially cheaper as a PC.

Not a big fan of the AIOs or iMacs (think they're kind of goofy looking), but they have nice monitors.

Ubuntu 9.10 isn't trying to be a desktop for everybody ... yet. It has a long way to go. But it is free and works extremely well for those that know how to use it. That said, it gets major credit for allowing the user to decide how they want it to look and feel.

dell studio desktop with C2D CPU
add 3.06GHz, windows ultimate, 21.5" monitor, wifi, wireless keyboard and mouse and you get $1168. the 22" monitor with webcam is $1194

the entry level imac is $1199 also comes with a webcam and the monitor is a lot better than the Dell monitor. it's LED backlit. so it kind of evens out. you can get the imac cheaper with an education discount or buying through one of the resellers like MacMall

plus for Apple is that if you live close to a store and you have trouble with your computer you take it to the genius bar. they aren't geniuses, but in my experience it's better than waiting on hold for hours and playing the script with dell or HP. or like i had to send a laptop to HP and they said i broke it and wanted $89 just to return it to me

and for whatever reason Mac's hold their value very well. a lot better than Dell/HP. somene gave me a G4 mini for free and it still sells for $200 on ebay, amazing
Old 12-15-09, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

dell studio desktop with C2D CPU
add 3.06GHz, windows ultimate, 21.5" monitor, wifi, wireless keyboard and mouse and you get $1168. the 22" monitor with webcam is $1194

the entry level imac is $1199 also comes with a webcam and the monitor is a lot better than the Dell monitor. it's LED backlit. so it kind of evens out. you can get the imac cheaper with an education discount or buying through one of the resellers like MacMall

plus for Apple is that if you live close to a store and you have trouble with your computer you take it to the genius bar. they aren't geniuses, but in my experience it's better than waiting on hold for hours and playing the script with dell or HP. or like i had to send a laptop to HP and they said i broke it and wanted $89 just to return it to me

and for whatever reason Mac's hold their value very well. a lot better than Dell/HP. somene gave me a G4 mini for free and it still sells for $200 on ebay, amazing
But what does ALL of this have to do with you not liking Ubuntu? I mean, it's fine if you don't like it but is it really because of all your posts up to this point?
Old 12-15-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

see post #15. iMac's are comparably priced to almost everything dell/hp sell

and if you buy through macmall a lot of times you can get vmware for free after rebate so you can run ubuntu on your mac as well

Last edited by al_bundy; 12-15-09 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tried the last version of Ubuntu and thought it was OK, but I don't think I'd want to use it as a primary OS - I am just more comfortable with Windows.
Old 12-16-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

see post #15. iMac's are comparably priced to almost everything dell/hp sell
Dell and HP netbooks:
http://www.dell.com/content/topics/s...=us&l=en&cs=19
http://www.hp.com/united-states/camp...ex.html#/Main/

Dell and HP desktops under $500:
http://www.dell.com/us/en/home/sr.as...51805~0~812581
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/sh...1=Under+%24400

Where's the Mac equivalent for those options?

if you buy through macmall a lot of times you can get vmware for free after rebate so you can run ubuntu on your mac as well
Or, you could use dual-boot and run ubuntu that way:
http://wiki.onmac.net/index.php/Trip...ootCamp_Ubuntu
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=678542

http://www.tuaw.com/2008/10/30/insta...8-10-on-a-mac/
Old 12-16-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

...I'm more in awe that people still consider paying $1200 for a desktop system these days. Even if it is an AIO.
Old 12-16-09, 03:13 PM
lxl

I use Debian (testing) and chose it as my company's server. I always think iceweasel is cooler than firefox.
Old 12-16-09, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
...I'm more in awe that people still consider paying $1200 for a desktop system these days. Even if it is an AIO.

If I were to build $1200 pc I would spend it differently than the way apple configures their computers, but it would do a lot more than the entry level models you get from Dell or Hp
Old 12-18-09, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just got the "Cube" working and installed Wine for the first time with no issues - already installed about 3 .exe's with no issues.

I am really impressed with this OS - haven't been kicked from my secure vpn yet either.

Here's a quick vid of the cube for those new to it and who are interested - this was such a pain in the ass to do in the previous versions but is so damn simple now:

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn6-AXEBzk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vn6-AXEBzk4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>