Reload this Page >

what mp3 player to buy?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

what mp3 player to buy?

Old 12-11-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what mp3 player to buy?

the battery on my ipod nano is dead - won't charge.
I am considering picking up the latest ipod nano. Is there any reason to go with the zune?
The only must have i want is an fm radio.
Old 12-11-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: what mp3 player to buy?

Have you looked at the Sansa Clip or, if you need pictures / videos, the Sansa Fuze? Both have fm radio.

Here is a 1GB recertified (refurbished) Sansa Clip for $15, shipping included:

http://www.buy.com/prod/sandisk-sans...210490112.html

Besides FM radio, another nice feature of the Sansa Clip is the ability to delete tracks on the fly. So you can move over several albums worth of music then while listening to them, delete the songs off of the Clip without having to go back to the computer. And with the Clip you won't be tied to iTunes, it acts like a flash drive. Just plug it in to any computer and add / delete / manage songs. mp3 of course, not .aac.

The iPod Nano is very good for videos / TV shows / movies, but for just listening to music I prefer the Sansa Clip (I have both).

Last edited by Heat; 12-11-09 at 12:52 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

the zune software is better than the bloat called itunes. too bad MS completely screwed up the Zune with no features other than a music player. and i hear the new nano can pause live radio
Old 12-11-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

All Windows software is bloatware. iTunes is fine on the Mac. Is there even Zune software for a Mac?
Old 12-11-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
I am considering picking up the latest ipod nano. Is there any reason to go with the zune?
I'd say if you liked your Nano and already like iTunes managing your music, it makes sense to get another one. I don't think the current version of the Zune would offer anything more then the Nano, unless you just prefer the design/control/software.

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
the zune software is better than the bloat called itunes. too bad MS completely screwed up the Zune with no features other than a music player. and i hear the new nano can pause live radio
To be fair, I'd say the initial revisions of the Zune had more features then the equivalent iPod at the time. Not so much anymore, but outside of the Touch i'd say they aren't exactly lacking.

Totally agree that the Zune software is better then iTunes.

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
All Windows software is bloatware. iTunes is fine on the Mac. Is there even Zune software for a Mac?
No. Yes. No.

Last edited by fumanstan; 12-11-09 at 03:24 PM.
Old 12-11-09, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post

It's just as bad on my mac as my pc's
Old 12-11-09, 09:53 PM

I love my Sansa Clip. Inexpensive and great at what it does.
Old 12-11-09, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The quickplay screen on the Zune HD allows you to "pin" your more frequently accessed music, pictures, and video. If there is a Sony player with a similar form factor to the Zune HD or iPod Nano that provides SensMe Channels then that would be the one.

I use the SensMe Channels on my PSP-2000 and PSP Go... it is a unique music playing experience IMO.
Old 12-12-09, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not crazy about itunes but i like the design/look/feel of the nano, so i am leaning towards the nano.
The zune HD is probably out for me since i want something smaller.
Old 12-12-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 12-12-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Why not an 8gb touch for only $50 more?
Old 12-12-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its too big
Old 12-13-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd stay with the 8 GB 5G iPod nano (you can get it for US$139 from a number of sources).
Old 12-14-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Possible reasons to go with a Zune:

1. Zune Pass: for $15/month, unlimited access to millions of tracks. You can use up to 3 computers, stream all of the tracks on any browser anywhere and use multiple Zunes. It works really well and you get the feel-good of going piracy free. Apple doesn't offer a similar service (yet).

2. The Zune software is actually really good. It's well organized, attractive and intuitive. It's probably one of the best things MS has ever done.

3. If you have an XBox 360, you can share content with your Zune. This is a really powerful combination that is underreported, IMO.

4. The Zune HD is a superior media player to the iPod touch. It doen't yet serve as the all-around device that the Touch is, but if you are more focused on playing music and watching video, the Zune HD is the way to go, IMO. The OLED is really nice, it has (arguably) better sound quality than the Touch, the five free games are damned impressive, the battery life is superior and I like the Zune's interface better than Apple's. They need to fix the Zune's (relatvely weak) browser, they need to add native .avi support and introduce more apps (Facebook and Twitter coming soon at least). Also, with the Media dock, it can output true HD, one of the few players on the market that can do it.

5. You can get a Zune 8 for next to nothing these days, it's a really solid little player for the money.
Old 12-14-09, 12:07 PM

I'm thinking about getting a Zune HD 32 gb. I have some questions Hiro.

Do you think they will upgrade the software so you can transfer movies downloaded from zune media on your Xbox to a Zune HD? Also how about downloading movies from Wifi? I don't have a comptuer at home and would like a way to add movies without using one.

Will they upgrade the web browser to have flash, also how about using netflix like you can on the xbox?

Last edited by House; 12-14-09 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-14-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by House View Post
Do you think they will upgrade the software so you can transfer movies downloaded from zune media on your Xbox to a Zune HD?
Probably. I'm not sure why it doesn't already do this...

Also how about downloading movies from Wifi? I don't have a comptuer at home and would like a way to add movies without using one.
Given the size of the movie files, this probably would be tricky...

Will they upgrade the web browser to have flash, also how about using netflix like you can on the xbox?
They're apparently working on this as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next few months. Again, the Zune HD exceeds as a media player at this moment. The platform has the capability to be much more in the future, we'll have to see in MS is willing to invest in it...

Note to all internet-capable device makers: the internet isn't the internet without flash. Don't even bother launching a device with a browser unless it supports flash natively. This is probably as much Adobe's fault as anyone else's. They were very slow on the draw with FlashLite and it still doesn't work everywhere...
Old 12-14-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If your only issue is with itunes, try one of the other media managers. I can't think of their names off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone can point them out.
Old 12-14-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, for $59 you can send the nano to Apple and they'll send you a replacement nano.
Old 12-14-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post

They're apparently working on this as we speak. I wouldn't be surprised to see it in the next few months. Again, the Zune HD exceeds as a media player at this moment. The platform has the capability to be much more in the future, we'll have to see in MS is willing to invest in it...

Note to all internet-capable device makers: the internet isn't the internet without flash. Don't even bother launching a device with a browser unless it supports flash natively. This is probably as much Adobe's fault as anyone else's. They were very slow on the draw with FlashLite and it still doesn't work everywhere...
Given the history of the Zune, I would not hinge any recommendation on a potential future update. Assess the device's suitability as it is now. (I own a Zune 30, 80, and 16GB HD).
Old 12-14-09, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post

YouTube and hulu have API access to their content so flash isn't that important
Old 12-15-09, 09:31 AM

What are the odds of MSFT releasing a Zune HD next fall with more memory? I'm afraid to drop all this money then watch them release one with more space.

Does anyone notice that pretty much all the movies using Zune on Xbox life are only standard definition for purchase? What's up with that? How are we supposed to use this 720P output if they only offer standard def?
Old 12-15-09, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

if MSFT doesn't kill the Zune product like they should, they will probably have annual product upgrades. Toshiba just announced 64GB NAND modules for 1Q 2010

my theory is that Zune will get rolled up into Windows Mobile or another division
Old 12-15-09, 09:40 AM

Do you have a link to the Toshiba?
Old 12-15-09, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

www.appleinsider.com and www.macrumors.com are both carrying it

http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press...=20091215-818e

the hardware will always get better and new products always come out over the summer. it's the company behind it.

Apple is very focused these days and sells a slight variation of the same OS and applications in multiple products. Microsoft seems to be too big to manage and the Zune doesn't look like the rest of the company is behind it. more like some VP had a an idea and his department created it from some code lying around and it doesn't work with some of the other products like WinMo.

Last edited by al_bundy; 12-15-09 at 09:47 AM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The thing I like about players like the Zen X-Fi2 and Sanza Fuze is the memory card slot for expansion.

Anyone using the PSP Go as an MP3 player? How good is it?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.