Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Should I partition my hard drive, or let Linux Mandrake do it?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Should I partition my hard drive, or let Linux Mandrake do it?

Old 01-13-01, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want to install Linux Mandrake 7.0.
I tried the limited Partition Magic Linux Prep tool, but it would not work at all(I installed it,rebooted, but nothing came up on the screen as it shows in the manual).
Should I Fdisk, and partition my hard drive myself, or should I let the installer do it for me?
If I Fdisk, will I lose all my data on my C and D drives?
Your input would be appreciated.
Old 01-13-01, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I always like to do it myself, but I am unique (to say the least)

I hate plug and play, I hate the software trying to do anything for me I can easily do myself :MAD:

When I do manually I know it is doen right and done exactly how I want it.
Old 01-13-01, 10:59 PM

It doesn't matter. If you install Linux you will have a partition program that will be started while doing the setup so you can still do it yourself (or you can let the program do it).

The first time I installed Mandrake I did the partion first with Partition Magic 5 but the second time I installed Mandrake I used the program that is in the setup. The app in Mandrake is basicly the same as Partition Magic (not as many features but all the important options are there)
Old 01-14-01, 02:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Is it possible to expand linux partitions? Say you have your linux installation on a 6GB HD, and then you ghost it over to a 13GB HD, but it only uses 6GB on the HD, and then is it possible for Partition Magic to expand certain partitions on the 13GB HD? Mainly if I wanted a larger partition with all my webserver stuff on it, can I expand the partition (or am I stuck having to add partition under directories in Linux?)

------------------
PatCave ;HT Pix ;Pat's DVDs
Old 01-14-01, 02:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
Is it possible to expand linux partitions? Say you have your linux installation on a 6GB HD, and then you ghost it over to a 13GB HD, but it only uses 6GB on the HD, and then is it possible for Partition Magic to expand certain partitions on the 13GB HD? Mainly if I wanted a larger partition with all my webserver stuff on it, can I expand the partition (or am I stuck having to add partition under directories in Linux?)

Yes you can do it! The main options of Partion Magic allows you to increase the size of a current partion, decrease its size, delete a partion and create a new one.
Old 01-14-01, 09:55 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by Patman:
Say you have your linux installation on a 6GB HD, and then you ghost it over to a 13GB HD, but it only uses 6GB on the HD, and then is it possible for Partition Magic to expand certain partitions on the 13GB HD?

If you are actually using Ghost, you can do it through the software while making the transfer. When you select the destination drive it allows you to resize the partition to your liking.

------------------
D.

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited January 14, 2001).]