Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Help! Can a DVDrom/Cd drive replace a reg CD

Old 01-13-01, 12:00 AM

Thanks for clicking on my quesion. I am considering buying the Creative Labs PC-DVD Encore 12X DVD/40X CD-ROM EIDE with PCI DxR3 Decoder...Can this replace my regular CD drive. I also have a CD burner installed and I was wondering if I can replace my 8X CD drive with the DVD rom as a my CD drive for everyday regular use?
Old 01-13-01, 12:30 AM

Yes a DVD-Rom can be used as CD-rom drive (that is what I use!). I would not suggest buying a Creative Labs DVD though. IMO you should get a Toshiba or a Pioneer drive.

Also, never forget that Creative Labs does NOT make DVD drive. Other companies are making them for Creative. The last ones are made by Samsung (real crap) or Liteon (crap). If you have a fast processor (AMD Athlon, or even one of those overpriced intel Pentium 3) and a decent video card you don't need a DVD decoder card, it will not look better!

But if your computer is slow and you need a decoder card I would suggest you to buy the Realmagic Hollywood+ decoder card.
Old 01-13-01, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the advice...I learn so much from this site. I have a AMD-2 550 and am still using the matrox mystique card...I am looking to replace my graphics card with maybe ATI's all-in-wonder radeon card, but don't know yet. Do you think I need a decoder card with what my 550? Again thanks for the advice, I'll start checking out the Toshiba and Pioneer DVD drives.
Old 01-13-01, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

550MHz is really pusihing it for hardware decoding... you might be able to get away with it if you kill all background apps, but it'd probably still be a little jerky at times... I don't know about that graphics card; is it one that claims to do "DVD Hardware Assist"? If in doubt, just buy the DVD-ROM drive now, and then if you find the playback sucks, buy a Hollywood Plus card later...
Old 01-13-01, 09:58 AM

For a while I have been thinking about purchasing my DVD drive, but I was afraid of making the wrong move and doing that buyers remorse thing. Thanks to Real Boba Fett and TheyCallHimJim, I feel confident in doing it now, thanks guys, you are great! So..the question is...Toshiba or Pioneer, or does it make that much of a difference?
Old 01-13-01, 04:26 PM

My first choice would be Toshiba but my second would be Pioneer, so you can't go wrong with these ones.

As TheyCallHimJim, I would suggest you to buy the DVD drive now and try it. If it is too slow you can alwats add a decoder card later. But I think a 550 should be enough. My friend has a P2 400 with a Matrox G400 Max and it works perfectly with software decoding if he isn't running tons of applications in the backgound. And you have a Matrox card, Matrox has by far the best and fastest 2D processing so it won't hurt (but your card is an old Matrox card though).

Also I would suggest you to try the WinDVD player (the best image and sound IMO) and if it is too slow you can try PowerDVD and Cinemaster (they are faster than WinDVD). I can give you the URL if you need them for the official sites where you can download a demo version.