Reload this Page >

camcorder recommendations?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-07-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any camcorder advice/recommendations? I've done a bit of research, and largely indentified the better ones at various price points. Looking at perhaps the Panasonic HDC-TM300, the Canon FS200 and the Canon HF200.

Obviously, there's a pretty wide price range involved with those three models. Primary use will be various home videos (expecting first child in late January), so don't need anything overly fancy.

any recommendations?
Old 12-08-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: camcorder recommendations?

hf200. hands down.
Old 12-08-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i had one and never use it anymore. for my kid i almost always shoot a picture or video with my iphone. it's too much of a PITA to carry a camcorder around with all the other baby crap you have to take with you anytime you take a baby anywhere.

my wife and i rarely take our regular digital camera anywhere as well. compared to an iphone it's too much trouble to take it out, turn it on and take a picture while you're running after the kid
Old 12-09-09, 03:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i had one and never use it anymore. for my kid i almost always shoot a picture or video with my iphone. it's too much of a PITA to carry a camcorder around with all the other baby crap you have to take with you anytime you take a baby anywhere.
Agreed.

We spent a lot of money on a nice Mini-DV camera a couple years ago. Just sold it for cheap at a garage sale. In the end, we'd probably shot 2 hours of footage total.

My advice is to get a camera that'll fit in your pocket. If it's bigger than your wallet, it's too big. Check out the pocket flash camcorders like Creative Labs VadoHD, Flip Mino HD or the Kodak Zi8. I'm a big fan of the VadoHD. I even bought two as gifts for my brothers. I think Amazon is having some sales and deals on all those cameras right now.

You're giving up features and maybe some video/audio quality. But it's better to have a camera that you'll actually use. It's so convenient that you'll take it everywhere. Pop it out, shoot some video, put it back in your pocket, no big deal.
Old 12-09-09, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave View Post
Agreed.

We spent a lot of money on a nice Mini-DV camera a couple years ago. Just sold it for cheap at a garage sale. In the end, we'd probably shot 2 hours of footage total.

My advice is to get a camera that'll fit in your pocket. If it's bigger than your wallet, it's too big. Check out the pocket flash camcorders like Creative Labs VadoHD, Flip Mino HD or the Kodak Zi8. I'm a big fan of the VadoHD. I even bought two as gifts for my brothers. I think Amazon is having some sales and deals on all those cameras right now.

You're giving up features and maybe some video/audio quality. But it's better to have a camera that you'll actually use. It's so convenient that you'll take it everywhere. Pop it out, shoot some video, put it back in your pocket, no big deal.
Disagreed. The little Flip type cameras are fine for posting vids to YouTube and whatnot, but if you want decent quality, the new flash memory-based camcorders are only slightly larger with a lot better quality.

I have a Canon Vixia HF10 (last year's model) and it's literally the size of a can of Coke. It also records 4 hours of 1080p HD video on the built-in memory. And you can extend the memory with an SD card. The Vixia also shoots excellent still photos, because unlike most camcorders of the past, it uses the same type of imaging sensor as still cameras.