Reload this Page >

Surge Protection

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Surge Protection

Old 12-06-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Surge Protection

Ever since i moved into my nyc apt 10 years ago, i've had 4 computer power supplies blew up on me. Usually i just replace the PSU and it is up at running again. At first i thought it was because i was using cheaper PSU that was causing this, so the last one i bought was a very good Antec. This one blew up on me recently and took all my components (HD, DVD burner, cpu, memory) with it.

I just built a new machine and want to protect it. I was using a $30 surge protector. Does a UPS give you more protection than a regular surge protector?
or do i just need to buy a better surge protector?
i was thinking of picking up one of these -

http://www.buy.com/prod/cyberpower-i...tml?adid=17653

I do not care about having a backup power for blackouts. I am only concerned with protecting my computer from surges.
Old 12-06-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Surge Protection

I've used a $30 or $50 Apc unit for years in NYC with no problems
Old 12-06-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Many 'surge protectors' are worthless, you really have to read the fine print as to what they do and how they do it. The ones that have a money backed insurance are usually more worthwhile, just make sure you follow all instructions to be able to claim the warranty.

UPS's also vary in quality and what they do. The one you linked to at buy.com will do what you need. It has automatic voltage regulation and power conditioning, and the battery backup feature is just an 'extra' benefit of using it. You primarily want it for voltage regulation and line conditioning.

Usually there are other power problems in the structure when you have conditions as you describe (losing multiple PSUs and other hardware) but I know these things can be out of your control. The best you can do is put in a UPS like in your link and see if that is enough to stop the problem (it should be).
Old 12-07-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

thanks.
I've lived in nyc most of my life and never had a single computer PSU die on me till i moved into this apartment.
Old 12-07-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Invest in a UPS. I have learned over a decade a ago when the building blackout, I lost all my data. I have 3 UPS units in the house. Never have any problem for my PCs and electronics.
Old 12-07-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by timewaster View Post
thanks.
I've lived in nyc most of my life and never had a single computer PSU die on me till i moved into this apartment.
It very well could be something in the apartment wiring. I am not an electrician (maybe a resident one here will chime in) but if "something" (can't remember what exactly) isn't right with the building wiring and ground setup, surge protectors will be worthless. The UPS should be a much better level of protection, but still not perfect if the underlying wiring is at fault.

For $130, well worth the investment.

I have separate UPS systems on my computer, home theater audio and TV. I also installed hospital certified outlets in the wall where these UPS's connect (just to make sure the connection is clean and secure).
Old 12-07-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think there has to be some problems with the outlet(s). Maybe the outlets are not properly grounded? Dunno. Or there's some major spikes coming from the power co. or transformer. Even if you get surge protector, they probably will have to be frequently replaced if you have some electricity issues.
Old 12-08-09, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i'd rather replace my surge/UPS than loose my computer with all my data on it.

How much power do these things use? Since I will be running it 24/7, will a UPS cause my electric bill to go up?

Last edited by timewaster; 12-08-09 at 03:35 PM.