Reload this Page >

Windows Task Manager

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows Task Manager

Old 12-05-09, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windows Task Manager

I have 44 processes currently running, my commit charge is
476/2461. However, if I add each one up its over 1000K. It just started to be like this and I have had my computer for 5 years(Inspiron 8600). I have tried that memory testing program memtest, it passed twice. I am wondering if anyone knows what is going on. I would appreciate any assistance or where I would need to go, thanks.
Old 12-05-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Re: Windows Task Manager

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows...er#Terminology
Because of the nature of memory requests the decision about which process to charge memory against is not always clear. For example many important Windows files such as DLL files will be used by multiple processes. It is unclear what values many of the totals provided by Task Manager are based upon. As an example, the Mem Usage column on the Processes tab charges shared memory against all of the processes that share the memory. This is one of the reasons the commit charge total is not equal to the sum of every processes memory usage. Rather that this being a limitation of Task Manager, it is an indication of the complexity of memory usage.
In other words, the Commit Charge is not simple the sum of all the listed processes' memory, and in fact that sum should be larger than the Commit Charge.
Old 12-05-09, 07:30 PM

yes, but why for so long(5 years) does just about every process have a low usage say around 20 or 30K but now its like 50 or 60K or so. After I did that memtest it seemed to be back to where it was for so long but that didn't last very long. This is all while my cpu usage is usaully always below 10 or 20%, if that.
Old 12-05-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Maybe an update caused a change in the way Task Manager reports the memory for each process. Has your commit charge changed drastically? If not, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-06-09, 12:57 AM

The total hasn't, just each one. Do you think new memory would do anything? Or is this probably just something I should overlook?

Thanks for the replies.