Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

How can i save a downloaded Real audio clip to my hard drive.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

How can i save a downloaded Real audio clip to my hard drive.

Old 01-08-01, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First post. Great forum.

You all seem to know a lot about this stuff so i thought i would ask the above question.

I am trying to save a clip to my hard drive, but it will only open onto a RealPlayer window (and the data disappears after i disconnect).

I know a fair bit about PCs, but this one has got me stumped, and i run across this often. The clip is a song that is unavailable on something like Napster.

I could record the song onto an audio cassette but, you know, i am aiming for at least marginal quality.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-08-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This works for me sometimes. The link will probably be to a .ram file. As you're aware, it's usually not the actual music file but merely causes your realplayer to link to the Internet again to stream the actual music. BUT, if you view this .RAM (after saving) file with your Windows "notepad" program or other text viewer, it should contain an internet address. This is the link to the actual real audio file.

The link will probably have to be altered slightly to work, but once you do, it can be downloaded.

eg, inside the .RAM file, the link may be written as:

png://www.blah.com:8080/whatever/music.rm

And if so you will probably need to change it to:

http://www.blah.com/whatever/music.rm

Once you do that, enter the link in your browser. Realplayer will still load up, but this time will save the data to your hard drive first. So then search your browser's temporary internet directories for the realaudio file and it should be there.
Old 01-08-01, 10:33 PM
HN
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
or, it might possibly still be hangin' in your temp folder. do a search for *.rm or *.ram. if it's in your temp folder, just move it to wherever you want.

--HN
Old 01-09-01, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yep, you should always check that first. But some streaming realaudio/video does not stay in the temp folder like that for some bizarre reason.
Old 01-09-01, 10:10 PM

Thanks for the responses.

ipkevin: i tried what you said. i had RealPlayer download and play the file again, but i was unable to open the file afterward with notepad. i was able to open the shortcut address in a new ie window, but that address does nothing but just connect via RealPlayer again.

You know usually you can right-click a filename and click on "open with" and then select notepad, but "open with" was not an option.

any thing else you can think of? thanks.

In case you want to try it, the original link is http://www.dubstar.com/listfrmx.htm and the shortcut to the download it gave me is http://www.dubstar.com:8080/ramgen/d...silentnight.rm.

Edited to say that i tried playing around with the link (removed :8080 etc) but only dead links followed.

[This message has been edited by Jean Luc (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-10-01, 02:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What you need to do is download "Total Recorder" (do a yahoo search for it), and use that to record it as a .WAV file which you can then convert to an MP3. There is one problem though, you can only record for 40 seconds with TR unless you actually buy the program. But there are ways around that, e-mail me if you need more info.
Old 01-11-01, 07:19 PM

I'll try the Total Recorder and let you know.

Thanks.

Old 01-13-01, 12:10 AM

Try X-File Get! You can save any real video or real audio file (even the "protected" ones) and it really saves the original file, it is not a "record on the fly". This is a freeware program but unfortunately I don't remember the URL