Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

My comp eats cd-roms!! :(

Old 01-12-01, 01:59 PM

Any of you guys run into the problem of your computer eating your cd-roms. My comp has gone thru like 4 cd-roms already. My comp is a celeron 300 overclocked to 375mhz. I have 2 hard drives on my primary ide channel. In total i have have 2 cd-roms. One is an external scsi sony cdr and the second cd-rom is an internal ide drive, that's is the only device on the secondary ide channel.
I have gone thru from many ide cdroms already as they would work for like about 3 months and then they would die on me. My computer would struggle to read cd's in the ide cd-rom. Eventually, my computer would not recognize it at all. Highly odd. I have bought name brand cd-rom such as creative labs. No major installation was done on my pc, it's just thru normal day to day use that i'll eventually hear the buzzing sound of my pc trying to read the disc and eventually no more cdrom

Any ideas?
thanx
Old 01-12-01, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

turn the clock speed back down
Old 01-12-01, 02:15 PM

so you think the clock speed is breaking the cdrom drives? The cdroms when put into other pcs dont work anymore after they have been through mine. These arent super old cdrom drives, they were supposed to be designed for clocks higher than what i have for sure.
baffling mystery...
Old 01-12-01, 02:19 PM
X
Administrator

My son eats squid!!
Old 01-12-01, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No oc'ing as little as you have will probably not cause it. I say it sounds like bad luck or you play Quake 3 from the Cd rom for 18 hours a day and you are just wearing them out.

Try a Toshiba cd-rom or a TEAC, I have had good luck with them on 'high wear' machines.
Old 01-12-01, 03:24 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
turn the clock speed back down

Either that or maybe crank it a bit if possible. A lot of peripherals don't really like the 83MHz bus speed. If you can get your system to work fine (with the CPU at a reaonable temp) at 100Mhz bus that may be in your favor. If you can't get this to work, you may have to drop the speed down to 75MHz bus or even to the original 66MHz.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-12-01, 03:27 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
Try a Toshiba cd-rom or a TEAC, I have had good luck with them on 'high wear' machines.

Have you had any long term experience with the Pioneer drives? I have a Pioneer DVD and it is great. From the specs that I've seen, the Pioneers have an advantage in the buffer size (512KB as opposed to the standard 128KB in most others).

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-13-01, 12:03 AM

Creative Labs? They have the worst CD-Rom drives I have ever seen! Noisy, bad to read CDR and to read bad sectors of safedisc games... When I bought my computer they didn't had the Toshiba DVD drive I wanted so they lent me a Creative Labs CD drive... After 2 weeks it died, completly dead!

I would suggest Toshiba, they simply are the bests!

Pionner are also making good CD drives. On my 2nd computer I have a 5 years old 10X Pioneer that is still working prefectly! And it does Digital Audio Extraction (it was one of the first drives to do it!)

Avoid brands like Creative Labs, Samsung, Goldstar... And Kenwood! The Kenwood drives may be fast but they are simply bad to read files. They get out of sync while doing digital audio extraction so the result is bad! Also they have problems to read securom 2 games like Diablo 2!