Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Installing a new CPU

Old 01-12-01, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ok, my brother has a AMD K6 233, and he wants to put a AMD K6 500 in his computer.
From what I understand all you have to do is take out the old one, and put the new one in in its place. Is that right?

We just had a cable modem put in yesterday, will this affect the modem is any way?

Please fill me in on the details that I need to know to change this without messing up his computer.
Old 01-12-01, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You need the manufacturers instruction manual to the motherboard and do exactly as it says.

Make sure you have the newest BIOS installed also.

Are you sure this is even possible on the current motherboard?
Old 01-12-01, 02:28 PM

I am pretty sure that the guy who sold him the board said that a 500 was the max possible. It is a slot 7 board if that makes any diffrence.
He said that he could not find the manual. Is there a way to find out what the board is through Windows? Somthing like start>programs>accessories>system tools>sysyem information. ???
How do you update the BIOS?
Old 01-12-01, 02:40 PM

Your best bet is to go the the motherboards (manufacturer's) website and check what your current model is and what version your BIOS is running currently. Usually it's pretty easy to determine the BIOS version as you can see it when your pc reboots. Just pay close attention. Sometimes you will need to flash the BIOS in order for your motherboard to work properly with a new chip. As always, consult the documentation. All of that can be found on the manufacturer's website.
Hvae fun!
Old 01-12-01, 02:55 PM

Ok, the board is made by First International Computer of America. But I still do not know what type of board it is. If I ever figure that out I can get the updated bios from their site.
He has the set up disk that came withthe board.. but he says that he cannot find anthing else that goes with it.

Old 01-12-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

tjr2

This site is priceless when it comes to ID'ing motherboards.

http://www.ping.be/bios/index.html?h...HTML1/faq.html

You can find your BIOS ID string in the BIOS itself maybe on the title page. It also should show on the screen when you boot either before or during the memory count. Once you know who made the board go to their web site and get what you need (manual + BIOS update) I would not trust what the seller said.
Old 01-12-01, 04:47 PM

Ok, the number that I have now is vp3586b-w877-2a5Lef09c-00
I now know that it has a VIA Apollo (m) VP3 chipset. That is all I can figure out. When I go to Fic's web site it does not list that number.

What am I not seeing? How do I tell what is the best chip that I can put on this board is?
Old 01-12-01, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It is one of these

Fic VA503
or
Fic PA-2012
or
FIC VA-503+
or
FIC PA-2013

Any more clues on the motherboard itself or in the BIOS (look at startup for maybe the current BIOS number or something)

Download CTBIOS from that page and run it, see if that offers anymore.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 12, 2001).]
Old 01-12-01, 08:01 PM

This is what I got when I ran that program.

Computer ID: FC, Type : AT
BIOS Date: 07/29/99
Award BIOS found: Award modular BIOS v4.60pga
Award ID-String: 07/29/99-vp3-568b-w877-2a5lef09c-00
Board/BIOS-Version: Version 1.15ji38
OEM: F.I.C
URL: Http://www.fica.com
Chipset: vp3-586b-w877 //VIA 597vp3

Thats it. Does it help you?

Oh, and thanks for all the help.
Old 01-12-01, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would rather not, if I am wrong that would really suck.

I am confident I have it down to one of the 4 I listed.

Look at the online manuals (you must download them) for the 4 I listed above.

http://www.fica.com/techsupport/manual/manual.stm

each manual should have a picture of the motherboard, maybe you can narrow it down by matching pictures. Look at slot layout, processor location, jumper location and see what looks EXACTLY like the board you have.

Also examine the board for a model number, most put it somewhere (maybe a little sticker on the side of the last exapansion slot, hard to see unless you pull the board out of the case)

My guess is you will need a BIOS update regardless of anything else, so you must identify the exact model. Maybe calling FIC tech support will help.

Good Luck - I have brought you about as far as I am comfortable doing here. If you flash the wrong BIOS your board is dead and I don't want that on my hands, sorry.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 12, 2001).]