Reload this Page >

Digital Copy General Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 12-02-09, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions about the Digital Copies that often comes with the movies (BluRay's in my case)...
  • If I copy them to an external hard drive and play them from there (and on first playback enter the accompanying code to unlock it), can I then take my external hard drive to another computer and play the video on that one?
  • Does the code ever expire? I'd may want to play the movie in 3 years or more.

I'd appreciate all the feedback you guys have to offer.

Lars
Old 12-03-09, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Digital Copy General Question

"Does the code ever expire? I'd may want to play the movie in 3 years or more."

The code has a expiration date, but once you use it, the movie will never expire.
Old 12-03-09, 08:59 AM

If it's an Itunes copy, no, it will only work on the PC that has the Itunes account that downloaded the movie. As for Windows Media Player, not sure.
Old 12-05-09, 01:31 PM

So basically the Digital Copy is yet another scam to make us buy the movie... LMAO
Old 12-05-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pelenor View Post
If it's an Itunes copy, no, it will only work on the PC that has the Itunes account that downloaded the movie. As for Windows Media Player, not sure.
I'm assuming it would work on any PC that is authorized on your Itunes account though right? You can have up to 5 I believe.

I'm interested in if anyone has the answer for the Media Player version.

Also, can the WMP version be loaded onto a Touch?

I'm getting my son a Touch for Christmas, but would like to have the WMP version of the digital downloads for purposes of streaming (which, I assume the WMP versions will stream from the PC to a 360 through Tversity or WMP, correct?)
Old 12-05-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by sniper308 View Post

Also, can the WMP version be loaded onto a Touch?
Nope, it has to be in the itunes format.

I'm getting my son a Touch for Christmas, but would like to have the WMP version of the digital downloads for purposes of streaming (which, I assume the WMP versions will stream from the PC to a 360 through Tversity or WMP, correct?)
I doubt it since it's copy protected.
Old 02-09-10, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Here's a question... once I put it on my iPod Touch for use, can I take it off and put it back on that SAME iPod as many times as I want?
Old 02-10-10, 03:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush View Post
Here's a question... once I put it on my iPod Touch for use, can I take it off and put it back on that SAME iPod as many times as I want?
Yes. I do this all the time.

You can also move place them on external drive and watch them just fine. iTunes copies can be played on up to 5 PC/Macs that are authorized under your account. Windows Media can be played on 1 PC. Due to DRM, they will only stream through Windows Media Center and XBox 360 onto a television.

And the code just has to be entered ONCE to redeem the movie. Store it on external drive and you won't have to worry about future playback issues.

Last edited by emachine12; 02-10-10 at 03:28 AM.
Old 02-10-10, 09:49 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Larsanna View Post
So basically the Digital Copy is yet another scam to make us buy the movie... LMAO

The digital copy comes with the movie you ALREADY purchased...
Old 02-10-10, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Larsanna View Post
You say scam I say bonus. I remember buying hundreds of dvd's back in the day and they never came with any digital copies, you had to rip your own if you wanted to put them on external devices which as we all know wasn't exactly the legal thing to do. This is a legal way to get your movie on the go. I am all for that
Old 02-10-10, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by emachine12 View Post
Yes. I do this all the time.

You can also move place them on external drive and watch them just fine. iTunes copies can be played on up to 5 PC/Macs that are authorized under your account. Windows Media can be played on 1 PC. Due to DRM, they will only stream through Windows Media Center and XBox 360 onto a television.

And the code just has to be entered ONCE to redeem the movie. Store it on external drive and you won't have to worry about future playback issues.
Nice, thank you.
Old 04-01-10, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

How big are digital copies in general? The reason I ask is the wife wants to be able to watch them (it seems like every other Blu-Ray we have has them) and I was wondering what type of iPod to get.

I didn't want to buy an 8gb Touch if 8gb would be filled up fairly quickly. I assume I could use an iPod classic for a ton of space but that's a smaller screen. Can they be played on any other device like a Zune or some generic mp3 player?

Any ideas?

Oh and also some digital copies (the Dark Knight for example) are expired. Am I screwed or will a quick email to the studio fix that?
Old 04-01-10, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
How big are digital copies in general? The reason I ask is the wife wants to be able to watch them (it seems like every other Blu-Ray we have has them) and I was wondering what type of iPod to get.
The ones I have all hover around 1.2 GB, so an 8 GB Touch isn't going to cut it.

Can they be played on any other device like a Zune or some generic mp3 player?
Usually there are two types of Digital Copy on the disc. One is compatible with iTunes/iPods, the other is for other types of players. I'm not sure what kind because I have an iPod Touch.