Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question for 4KRG

Old 01-12-01, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

You remember a while back for the whole router that don't work with my dialup cable modem, I checked when it connects and it does this :

Windows IP Configuration
IP Address for AcerALN ALN-101 PnP Ethernet renewed Ok
Ethernet adapter AcerALN ALN-101 PnP Ethernet:

IP Address. . . . . . . . . : 10.1.1.2
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . : 10.1.1.1

So basically, if I went in the router config and used these settings instead of the ones they give, would it do anything?? The ip address assigned, i'm wondering, could it be something like a lan address that is assigned to the cable modem (Like when you're on DSL and have an internal and external address for the ethernet). Could it be that because I assigned an ip and the router assigns and ip that it causes a conflict somewhere?

Things never end with me it seems.
Old 01-12-01, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feneant

I don't think this is on track with your actual problem, but again hard to tell from here

Your router must support the ability to cue the modem to dial (like your PC does now). Since this is proprietary software, I doubt you will ever find it.

The router must be able to duplicate exactly what the software on your pc does when you dial or it must allow this process/protocol to pass through the router on to the modem. I will say this SOUNDS possible, but I have never done it and I don't know anyone off hand that works with the dial-up cable modem deal.

If you have quick habds, it may be possible to invoke dial then swap the cables around really quick to put the router in the middle