Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Computer RAM gone bad?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Computer RAM gone bad?

Old 01-09-01, 12:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can computer RAM go bad? I sold a stick of RAM that I used in my computer that ran as 256 PC133 Micron RAM. I sold it on ebay because I upgraded, but the person who I sold it to said that it only shows as 128 Megs and that it overheats so that it is hot to the touch, is this BS? Or can this really happen?
Old 01-09-01, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As is, no warranty, I say. If you are sure it worked before you sold it I'd say forget about it. You had no control over whether he used it properly, handled it properly, etc. It's a tough situation but if he's looking for warranties he shouldn't have purchased memory on ebay.

------------------
To Infinity and Beyond!
Old 01-09-01, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

what motherboard does he have. does it even take 256 mb dimm's? I am unsure how you can even make sure he is telling you the truth- it could be buyers remorse due to falling ram prices even if you looked at it how could you be sure he did not damage it.
I would say there is nothing you can do about it at all.
this is why i do not deal with ebay. how do you resolve something like this.
good luck.
Old 01-09-01, 01:20 AM

Karma and gcribbs, thanx for the reply. I was thinking along the same lines, but wasn't sure if that was a moral decision.
Old 01-09-01, 02:25 AM

I've never heard of overheating RAM, nor have I heard of a 256 dimm turning into a 128 dimm.

There could be alot of causes. His motherboard might be incompatible. Or he might just want a refund from you since RAM is so cheap nowadays. Or maybe he installed it wrong and damaged it while doing so. You can easily damage RAM by handling it wrong. Try and get his motherboard brand and model and try other things like having him remove the other sticks of RAM and just have yours installed. It might just be a hardware problem so his hardware is at fault, not your RAM.
Old 01-09-01, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got a stick generic ram (256MB LD PC133WAB) from mcglen.com last month, it only showed up as 128mb on my Gigabyte GA-6BXC and on my friend's Asus P3bF.

also some older boards might not be able to recognize 256mb sticks, i know my old 1.02 BH6 can't. as for overheating, hmmm, find out what kind of motherboard he is running the dimm on. If it is an old board with a TX or VX chipset that supports both simms and dimms, there might be a manual dipswitch or jumper that chooses between 3.3V and 5V for the ram. 5V is default for simms, if he recently upgraded to dimms, he needs to switch the jumper cap to 3.3V or he will indeed fry your ram. also if its an older TX or VX board, it prob won't be able to recognize 256MB sticks, let alone 128MB sticks.

hope you get satisfactory resolution.

------------------
Life is short, Make fun of it.
Old 01-09-01, 01:34 PM

thanx succubiss he is using a p3bf motherboard, now i have no qualms whatsoever.
Old 01-10-01, 02:57 PM
Registered

Moving to PC Forum

Geoff
Old 01-10-01, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

kidkong

If it honestly worked for you in your motherboard, then yes it is his motherboard, this happens all the time.

Now if it dodn't work at all I would say it wasn't packaged/handled properly. Many ignorant people laugh at anit-static protection, but it is serious.
Old 01-11-01, 04:32 AM

Actually I felt bad for the ignorant man. Since the ram is under warranty I told him if he pays for shipping I will work the warranty to get the new ram.
Old 01-11-01, 07:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read in quite a few different places that a lot of PC's don't show the correct RAM readings.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-12-01, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is nice of you but more than likely the new ram will not work any better. It is more than likely a motherboard problem not a ram problem.