Reload this Page >

iTunes Library help?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iTunes Library help?

Old 11-25-09, 05:41 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
iTunes Library help?

my mom just got a new pc and i have to transfer her iTunes Library to a new PC. i know i can download the Library to a flash drive and then do the import thing from disc on the new PC.

what i don't understand is: i went into my Library just to see how much memory it might roughly be, though i know she has a ton less music then me (won't know until i go over for turkey day and get into her old PC) my Library on PC said 45 GB. but i have all that music on my iPod and that cannot hold more than 8 GB.

so how is there such a large difference?

also, i have a designated iTunes Library folder, but dl all my music into my own folder that i manually set to. that says only 16 GB.

i worry my 8 GB flash drive won't be able to hold her Library to be transported and i am not going to get another or more memory.

can i take just the songs from her iPod and transfer them to the new PC because that is all she is going to want anyway. i think she, not knowing what she was doing exactly bought and dl'd songs that she didn't want and doesn't want those transferred.

can anyone decipher what the hell i am talking about?

i just want the easiest way to transfer her music to new computer.

thanks in advance.
Old 11-26-09, 01:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: iTunes Library help?

Since I am in the middle of my iTunes mess, I might be able to help.

1. See if there is any wav or wma files in the itunes library folder using explorer. iTunes converts those but does not delete the files.

2. It may be that songs got deleted from iTunes library but not deleted from hard drive.

I know there is a way to transfer songs from your ipod. The biggest thing you want to make sure is that on the new pc itunes is authorized using the account that has songs purchased. If not iTunes will wipe the ipod when it goes to sync.
Old 11-27-09, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Most music libraries in iTunes will be less than 8 gb. My library is over 80GB but includes a ton of video which accounts for ~50 GB. If you do podcasts and dont delete the files after listening they could build up to a lot of space.

If you are concerned about your library you could always copy your music out of the itunes folder and delete it, start with a fresh library by reimporting all your music, you will lose all your play counts and ratings and playlists.
Old 11-27-09, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Copy the library into one root folder

in edit preferences in the next to last tab set the folder as the iTunes folder

add the root folder to iTunes in the file menu