Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Can't run 'msinfo32'...file MFC42U.DLL cannot start

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Can't run 'msinfo32'...file MFC42U.DLL cannot start

Old 01-11-01, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I always check 'msinfo32' to check out my system, alter my startup menu, run version conflict manager, etc... It's now telling me that I can't run it because the file MFC42U.DLL cannot start. It also says this-- DLL cannot be loaded on Windows 95 or 3.1; it takes advantage of Unicode features only available on Windows NT.

I'm not running 95, 3.1, OR NT!!! I'm running 98 and/or 2K. What do I look for to fix this file??
Old 01-11-01, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually have 5 of these kinds of folders(???????):

mfc42u.dll-C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM
MFC42U.DLL-C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
MFC42U.DLL-C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE
MFC42U.DLL-D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32
MFC42U.DLL-D:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DLLCACHE

I am running 98/2K on my C drive, and 2K on my D drive.
Old 01-11-01, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

steve is sounds like this file got replaced when you installed something into 2K (BTW win2k IS NT)

Do you run Norton Antivirus? That is about the only thing off the top of my head that may overwrite this file. If so re-install it. If not I will think harder
Old 01-11-01, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
steve is sounds like this file got replaced when you installed something into 2K (BTW win2k IS NT)

Do you run Norton Antivirus? That is about the only thing off the top of my head that may overwrite this file. If so re-install it. If not I will think harder

Duh, I really didn't know 2K was NT...I AM retarded!!!

I do run Norton, I disabled it before installing 2K, but ......

Re-install Norton??? Won't that put it back over it, or not fix the file in the first place?
Old 01-11-01, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it looks like you can pull a copy of this file off your windows install cdrom

it is called mfc42u.dl_ not sure where on the cdrom it is exacly but you can use the extract command to get it

assume cdrom is drive e:

extract e:\win98\mfc42u.dl_ c:\windows\system\mfc42u.dll

somthing like that anyway, I would rename the old one before I replaced it just in case. ren mfc42u.dll mfc42u.old
Old 01-11-01, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:

Duh, I really didn't know 2K was NT...I AM retarded!!!

I do run Norton, I disabled it before installing 2K, but ......

Re-install Norton??? Won't that put it back over it, or not fix the file in the first place?

If you installed norton in 98, then installed 2k, 2k may have overwritten the file. doing a reinstall of norton, in 98, may write it back. THis file is shared by a few programs, hard to pick whick one updated it wrong exactly.

this plac http://www.bendys.com/mfcdll.html also has it for download, but 98 is not mentioned. I am not sure.

Old 01-11-01, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'll do that.

Why do I have 5 files of that type? I can understand C & D having one apiece, but what's the difference with sys32? ...and why are some in all CAPS?
Old 01-11-01, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

two of them are there (c:\winnt) because you did not delete win2k from c: yet. 2 are there (d:\winnt) in support of windows 2000 installation, 1 is there (c:\windows) to support 98.

This is one of those little probs you someimes encounter with dual boot machines.

Why caps? No fricken clue. X- ?
Old 01-11-01, 09:30 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
Why caps? No fricken clue. X- ?

About a quarter of the files in my system32 directory are capitalized. Doesn't matter.
Old 01-11-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by X:
About a quarter of the files in my system32 directory are capitalized. Doesn't matter.

BUT why?

Old 01-11-01, 09:45 PM
X
Administrator

quote:
BUT why?

When I write installs, I mostly have the option of capping or not. The file gets saved however I call and cap it.

If you look at the capped ones, you'll see consistencies as to files that got installed together, like the .exe and .dll's having the same case. That's probably what happened.
Old 01-11-01, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by X:
When I write installs, I mostly have the option of capping or not. The file gets saved however I call and cap it.

If you look at the capped ones, you'll see consistencies as to files that got installed together, like the .exe and .dll's having the same case. That's probably what happened.

so the cap files are the masters and the lower case are the slaves
Old 01-11-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK, uninstalled/re-installed Norton...no change.

Tried to change files to .old, it let me do 2 on the C drive, but the third said it was in use(but I had NOTHING open), and I couldn't extract from my 98 disc?.?.

(sigh)
Old 01-11-01, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
but the third said it was in use(but I had NOTHING open

You will have to boot to a dos prompt to get that one.

I wold hook you up, but my 98 disk is somewhere out of my reach right now. ren to old from dos and try the one from that web page I posted, the 95 one, not the nt one and put it in c:\windows\system (be sure you rename the one there first, do it all from dos)
Old 01-11-01, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

steve - do you give up yet?

I have to give you credit, you are trying damn hard to get this. One lesson I must teach you now is windows make no sense sometimes. don't give up hope it happens to the best of us.

Another valuable lesson is the K.I.S.S theory. (K eep I t S imple S tupid) this applies to desktop PC more than anything else in the world. It means if you don't absolutely have to do it, DON'T. If you can live without some software or feature then do not install it. The simpler a system is the better it will run. Nothing is guarnteed to work in this business.
Old 01-11-01, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, I did the rename, download link, etc...Still no dice. Tomorrow I'll uninstall Win2k, I think that's the problem(according to the error message). I like that logic in the above post, Ken!! Is it possible that I'm trying to throw too much into this damn little box, or better yet, I don't know as much as I should for the stuff I'm trying to do?? Either way, I appreciate the help!!
Old 01-11-01, 11:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:
Well, I did the rename, download link, etc...Still no dice. Tomorrow I'll uninstall Win2k, I think that's the problem(according to the error message). I like that logic in the above post, Ken!! Is it possible that I'm trying to throw too much into this damn little box, or better yet, I don't know as much as I should for the stuff I'm trying to do?? Either way, I appreciate the help!!

Steve, is this error coming up when you are running 98 or Win2k? If I remember right, each of them should be looking for a specific version. Win2k has a built in "protection" for the system files. If you've tried to replace a system file manually, while Win2k is running, the system will undo your efforts. I've had the same type of problem with this file, seems like McAffee Anti-Virus caused it... Visual Studio wants to install a version, HP Jet Admin uses one, Backup Exec uses one, and apparently several other programs do too. Gee, I guess I'm not really being much help here since I don't remember much more about what happened or how I fixed it... anyway, you at least now know that you aren't the first to have this problem.

[Edit - Oh, one more thing... do you know which version of msinfo32 you are trying to run? I just tried running a Win95 version under Win2k and found it didn't work right for me.]

------------------
D.

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited January 11, 2001).]