Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hum... I can't click and drag files?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hum... I can't click and drag files?

Old 01-10-01, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had to reinstall windows to remedy a few problems a couple of days back and now I can't click and drag to copy. I go in explorer and I cant cut and paste files anymore, can't drag them or anything to move in different folders. I wasn't aware that this was an option you could remove or is it just some stupid thing i'm doing?
Old 01-10-01, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I assume a reboot did not fix it?

Then this is what happens when you have DLL version conflicts

uhhh did you reinstall windows over an existing installation or did you install clean?

(I know what you did, but thought I would ask instead of tell )

Something that MAY replace the correct version of the DLL's Affected would be to reinstall internet explorer and/or MS office if you use them both.

Otherwise format and reinstall.
Old 01-10-01, 07:48 PM

I assume a reboot did not fix it?

First thing I did

uhhh did you reinstall windows over an existing installation or did you install clean?

Installed over... ill tell you why at the last line.

Something that MAY replace the correct version of the DLL's Affected would be to reinstall internet explorer and/or MS office if you use them both.

Funny you should mention, I had a bitching time trying to install IE cause I had ctrl-alt-del'ed my IE4 installation, installed 5 over, corrupted half the stuff and I got a few .dll are messed up error messages.

Otherwise format and reinstall.

Have you ever tried doing that on a scsi cdrom that doesn't work 50% of the time and seems to have lost all DOS support, it says "invalid drive specification" about every 10 seconds. The only 2 Os's that install are BeOS and FreeBSD...

Either way, IE seems to be the cause... dang, i'll have to get around to fixing it.

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-11-01, 01:05 AM

Maybe you don't have to format.

As a rule: Always remove IE 4.0 or better before reinstalling windows. If you don't you remove/copy over the files for the active desktop.

This has worked before for me when I have come across this problem:

1-reinstall IE 5 then uninstall it to remove the files properly.

2-install the same version of 4.0 that was on the system and remove it, like in step 1.

3-reinstall 4.0 with the version that has Active desktop as a part of the install. (You will know this because in the early part of the install it will ask you if you want to view web content on your Desktop.) This should restore what you have lost.

After this you can install 5.0 or whatever.

Good luck, I hope this helps!
Old 01-11-01, 01:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Feneant:

Have you ever tried doing that on a scsi cdrom that doesn't work 50% of the time and seems to have lost all DOS support, it says "invalid drive specification" about every 10 seconds. The only 2 Os's that install are BeOS and FreeBSD...

[/B]
<HR>

Format my be a bit harsh of a word, how about clean install? Here is a tip

I am assuming win98 here

boot with cdrom support
copy the cab files to your hardrive
reboot into dos mode
deltree program files directory
deltree windows directory
(reboot here if you are superstitious)
enter directory where cab files are (cd\??)
run setup

you do not need the cd rom to install windows, actually it is much faster and easier down the road to do it this way and leave the cab files on your hard drive.
Old 01-11-01, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk God

not sure about with win98.. but if you have win95, this is a common problem..

if you have a recent release of IE and reinstall windows over the top, you will lose drag and drop

the solution to this is to go back and uninstall IE (restore to previous version) until you are back to one of the 3.x or 4.x versions.. then reinstall windows over the top again and chose no any time it asks to save files.. youll get drag and drop here, and then you can upgrade IE again..

I work in user support and have run into this problem many times..
Old 01-11-01, 05:59 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

boot with cdrom support
copy the cab files to your hardrive
reboot into dos mode
deltree program files directory
deltree windows directory
(reboot here if you are superstitious)
enter directory where cab files are (cd\??)
run setup
<HR>

Everything there works, except booting with cdrom support We went through all this a few weeks ago, my scsi card doesn't seem to support this feature, hehe. I'm gonna be patient and when I have the time, I'll do the install from cab files on the HD. What other files do I need besides the cabs and setup?? Anything else?
Old 01-11-01, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Feneant:
Everything there works, except booting with cdrom support We went through all this a few weeks ago, my scsi card doesn't seem to support this feature, hehe.
<HR>

I thought you said it would not boot FROM the cd, this is very different from booting with cdrom support.

Example - if you boot into your current windows 98 and you can read the cdrom, that is booting with cdrom support.

If you boot to a DOS prompt, load the device driver for your cd, and you can read the cd rom, that is also booting with cd rom support.

If you are saying that you boot into windows 98 and can not read from your cd rom , then that cd rom is 100% worthless.

Boot windows 98 from you hard drive
insert the 98 cd in your cd rom
copy the cab files to a directory on your c drive (most use c:\options\cabs)

reboot in dos mode
deltree program files
deltree windows
reboot in dos mode again (you have no choice this time )
cd\options\cabs
run setup

make more sense? is that doable?

Old 01-11-01, 09:48 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

Example - if you boot into your current windows 98 and you can read the cdrom, that is booting with cdrom support.

make more sense? is that doable?
<HR>

Oh... yeah, I do have cdrom support (from my burner and about once a month on my cdrom drive).

That's doable, it's just a matter of me doing it, thanks!