Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What does DSL, ISDN, T1 etc Stand For ??

Old 01-11-01, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Can someone help me rank the different connections from fastest to slowest and also tell me what they stand for ?

also what the max k/s possible is for each type of connection to the net ?

cheers
Old 01-11-01, 02:57 PM
X
Administrator

I'll take a stab at the first one:

Dis Subject Locked - and it'll be pretty fast.

At least in this forum.
Old 01-11-01, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
DSL: digital subscriber line. speed varies depending on how much you pay usually up to 1Mbit/sec
ISDN: usually around 112kbits/sec
T1: can't remember the speed but it's in the Mbits possible Mbytes/sec range

and this will get moved to computer forum

------------------
"I'm overworked but I'm undersexed" -Garbage 'Hammering In My Head'
Old 01-11-01, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ok your ? is not quite that easy to answer as far as fastest to slowest it all depends on the carrier, and your area.

DSL= digital subscriber line- as far as whats availible to me this is the fastest without getting a T1 or higher. I am geting 640kp/sec advertised, and averages to be 510.

ISDN I can't remember what this is right now but it's advertised speed I believe is 128kp/sec

T1 never knew what that stands for, and speed not really sure but you can keep going and get a T3, or oc1 or 3 which are all higher then dsl or cable, but consideralbe more expensive too. That's why it's usually buisnesses, and schools using them.

But like I said it depends on your area which ones are faster I prefer DSL to Cable, but that is just here. Anyone else wanna fill in the blanks.

------------------
"You call this a soccer riot."

[This message has been edited by Spicollidriver1 (edited January 11, 2001).]
Old 01-11-01, 03:01 PM
Uber Member

Moving to DVD Rom and Computer forum.

------------------
David, Administrator, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 01-11-01, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

ISDN =Integrated Services Digital Network, 2 channels, each 64K for a max of 128K.
T1-T3 are leased copper lines.
OC1-OC128 are fiber optic, again higher is faster.

Dave
Old 01-11-01, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk God

dsl (digital subscriber line) speed is set by your provider, generally between 500-1500kbs. The max is 7mbps, but these speeds are generally not offered to home users. what seperates dsl from cable is that your speed is set for you, and not shared.

cable speed is also set by your provider, generally between 500-1500kbs. The max with currently lines is 10mbps and can be upgraded to over 100mbps, but of course this speed is not offered to home users.. I have seen some home users with an uncapped 10mbps connection..

ISDN (integrated services digital network ) is 128kbps, but generally expensive.. usually only acceptable with dsl and cable are not offered and your looking for more speed then standard 53.3.. also requires isdn lines to run

T1 (t stands for Trunk) 1.45 mbps this is generally whats used within schools and business. but its limitations are set by number of users accessing it, so speeds will vary and at peak time will sink to dialup type speeds.

then youll go to T3, OC3, OC12, OC48, OC192, etc..

Im using a T3 here at work and with the amount of users on it, the speed is not as good as my home connection.. Im on cable at home, but since its a small area, the speed is not capped.. I generally get connection speeds of 3-5mbps (which translates to about 300-500 KBps worth of transfer speed)
Old 01-11-01, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

can I buy a vowel?
Old 01-11-01, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

quote:
Originally posted by 4KRG:
can I buy a vowel?

The new ISDN lines looks neat, I forget all about them though, but I do know they are mucho fast and work over SONET or something.
Old 01-11-01, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by Feneant:
The new ISDN lines looks neat, I forget all about them though, but I do know they are mucho fast and work over SONET or something.

This does not answer my question
Old 01-11-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:
Originally posted by twikoff:
dsl (digital subscriber line) speed is set by your provider, generally between 500-1500kbs. The max is 7mbps, but these speeds are generally not offered to home users. what seperates dsl from cable is that your speed is set for you, and not shared.

cable speed is also set by your provider, generally between 500-1500kbs. The max with currently lines is 10mbps and can be upgraded to over 100mbps, but of course this speed is not offered to home users.. I have seen some home users with an uncapped 10mbps connection..

ISDN (integrated services digital network ) is 128kbps, but generally expensive.. usually only acceptable with dsl and cable are not offered and your looking for more speed then standard 53.3.. also requires isdn lines to run

T1 (t stands for Trunk) 1.45 mbps this is generally whats used within schools and business. but its limitations are set by number of users accessing it, so speeds will vary and at peak time will sink to dialup type speeds.

then youll go to T3, OC3, OC12, OC48, OC192, etc..

Im using a T3 here at work and with the amount of users on it, the speed is not as good as my home connection.. Im on cable at home, but since its a small area, the speed is not capped.. I generally get connection speeds of 3-5mbps (which translates to about 300-500 KBps worth of transfer speed)

Cool thanx mate, appreciate the info