Any thoughts on the Dell Zino?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-18-09, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

I'm wondering about this one. Looks like it might be a great little home theater computer. Not real sure about the video card as I would want one that did .264x off the card's memory and I don't know about the audio card, but otherwise, this looks like it could be a slick little deal.
Old 11-18-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Any thoughts on the Dell Zino?

Why not just get a ht extender
Old 11-18-09, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Doesn't look like it comes with a remote, or at least infrared so you could program your existing remote to work with it. Not really useful for a HT without the ability to use a remote.
Old 11-18-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was wondering about that machine myself since my Mac Mini does not have HDMI out or Blu-ray capability. I tried to find more out about the video and audio on that but didn't have a lot of luck. Will the two work together to decode or at least output HD audio over the HDMI?
Old 11-18-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Yeah, I have had those same thoughts. It just came out so we need a bunch more information, and a few upgrades.
Old 11-20-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I'm watching the Zino very closely, as well. I'm hoping after its been on the market a while some more aggressive deals emerge.

As for remote, get a $20-$25 Windows Media Center compatible remote that comes with a usb IR adapter. Then either use that remote or, if you are like me, use a Harmony all-in-one.

Dell initially had where you could get the upgraded 512 mb ATI card for a $75 upgrade fee even on the most basic configuration. I had one configured with a dual core processor, 1mb cache, and the upgraded card and it came to $369. If they had been running free shipping I would have bought it (s/h was an outrageous $30 or so for such a small device). Now they are running free s/h but seem to have benched the video card upgrade option.

My brother and I debating between the Zino and the Acer Aspire Revo 330 (Ion graphisc, dual core processor). At this point we've decided to wait until supply is greater on both and to get more reports on how the AMD processor and ATI video works in the Zino with 720p & 1080p files.
Old 11-20-09, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I like the price, and it appears they are using 3.5" HDD which I think is well worth the tradeoff for a non-mobile device. I wonder how fast these CPUs are though? The Studio Hybrid has a crappy GPU, but the Intel chips have enough muscle to do HD decoding. They also cost about twice as much.

Does this have a standard, probably low profile, PCI-E slot?
Old 11-20-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here's the tech specs:

http://www.dell.com/content/products...en&s=dhs&cs=19

It mentions a pci-e for the optional wireless card (a disadvantage over the Acer which has an N adapter by default -- but the Acer has no drive making any future O/S installs, etc. trickier).

I don't think I'd consider using it as an HTPC w/o upgrading to the dual core processor with the 1mb cache and the upgraded video card - an ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4330. But I don't know how that compares against the Ion.
Old 11-27-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I bit on one of these today... It was $199 and there is 20% back through bing. I upgraded to the dual core option and I will be installing my own windows 7.

There has been a lot of talk about these units on avsforum and there is a guy there reviewing one on his blog. He has been putting it through its paces.

According to him, the dual core 3250 chip with the integrated graphics is enough to stream Hulu 720p, and play 1080p.

The hard part for me is waiting until the 11th for mine to ship.
Old 11-27-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Wow, good to hear. Let us know how you like it once you get it.
Old 11-30-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ordered a Zino today with the special they were running. Ended up with a unit with the 3250e dual core processor; upgraded video card; 3gb of memory and Windows 7 for around $350. That's before the 20% Bing cash-back. All said and done I should end up around $280. Picked up a cheap MCE remote to get the IR so I can use my Logitech Harmony One. My new Panasonic TC-P58V10 is supposed to ship any day now. It was time to get something that could do High Def. I'll keep my apple TVs in the bedroom & kids room and use this unit in the main family room.
Old 11-30-09, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk God

How are you getting 20% back from Bing?
Old 11-30-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Go to Bing and search for Dell. On the right side there is a Dell Official Store link.

I ordered one of these a few weeks ago ($199 + $60 gift card). It should be here in a few days.

I added:
Dual Core AMD Athlon 3250e (1.GHz, 1MB)
Wireless n
Windows 7 Home Premium
Red paint job

Came out to $327 after tax and free shipping. I figure I'll spend the $60 credit on a wireless mouse/keyboard since I bought it as a HTPC.

This will be my first Windows based machine in over a decade.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 11-30-09 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-30-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Log in to your Bing account and search for Dell. Click the Dell Cashback link and it should show that it is at 20% right now.

I used the following value code DDPDUZ2 for the model that includes thew 3250e processor; 3gb ram; Win 7; and upgrade 4330 video card for $358 or similar price. It's a $470+ config marked down with a discount. The bing discount doesn't show anywhere but everyone else has been getting confirmations from Bing without issue after a day or two.
Old 12-03-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Shadowhawk2020 - is your shipping date of the 11th holding? Some people who ordered on the 18th of Nov are reporting their orders were canceled & replaced and now have dates around 23/24th of Dec.

Mine still shows in production with est delivery of Dec. 18th. Hopefully that holds.

Kvrdave, did you order one too?
Old 12-03-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Shadowhawk2020 - is your shipping date of the 11th holding? Some people who ordered on the 18th of Nov are reporting their orders were canceled & replaced and now have dates around 23/24th of Dec.

Mine still shows in production with est delivery of Dec. 18th. Hopefully that holds.

Kvrdave, did you order one too?
Best I can tell, the order is holding at 18th delivery date. However on the initial page where you look at all the orders the date now says N/A. It isn't until you open that page up when you see the date...

From what I gather, the people that ordered the Blue Ray drive are the ones being held up. One guy got pushed back to January :0.

Are you planning on using WMC? I think I am going to try out Media Portal first.
Old 12-03-09, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I suppose a positive - despite the delays you all are facing - is that this unit seems popular. Hopefully that means it will stick around, see price decrease relative to performance and also performance upgrades. If I had more funds at my disposal I'd consider picking one up with a Blu-ray drive; maybe next summer.

If you get the Blu-ray option and the upgrade video/audio card, does that combo process and output HD codecs over the HDMI? Or are you stuck with digital/coax?
Old 12-03-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Dang it. From the blog linked through the AVS thread:

Lastly, the discrete option supports 7.1 audio (though not Dolby True HD or DTS Master), while the integrated graphics version supports 5.1 audio only.
http://blogs.amd.com/home/2009/11/30...piron-zino-hd/

Guess another revision is needed before HD audio can be handled.
Old 12-03-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The upgrade graphics card option allows for 7.1 downsampled. I think they say power dvd is what people use it.
Old 12-03-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The upgrade graphics card option allows for 7.1 downsampled. I think they say power dvd is what people use.
Old 12-03-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by shadowhawk2020 View Post
Are you planning on using WMC? I think I am going to try out Media Portal first.
Right now the plan is to use XBMC.
Old 12-05-09, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well mine just shipped, I think... Depending on which screen you look at it is either In production, Preparing to ship, or shipped. Either way I should have it before christmas
Old 12-08-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Did it actually ship?
Old 12-08-09, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Did it actually ship?
The best I can tell, maybe...

The status changed to shipped on Saturday, but the site still hasn't given me my tracking number.

So I called, and they stated that the item shipped, and they gave me a tracking number.

However, fedex has no information on the tracking number, they even checked my address and there is no package in their system that is scheduled for delivery to my house...

With that information I called dell back, and they stated they will not look into it until after the 11th (the scheduled delivery date.)

How about yours?
Old 12-08-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still just says in production. No rush for me at this point. My new tv arrived damaged and replacement is on backorder.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.