Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Bizarro PC problem; Win98 won't stay shut down!!!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Bizarro PC problem; Win98 won't stay shut down!!!

Old 01-08-01, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help. I've been "playing" with my computer recently, and I don't know what the heck I've done to it, but it will not stay shut down! It goes through the motions just fine, shows the "Shutting Down" splash screen and everything, and powers off... then immediately powers back on, goes through POST and reboots itself of its own free will! The only way round that I've worked out so far is to just press the power button and manually switch it off when it starts to power itself up again... Presumably it's some strange and unusual bug (sorry, "feature"...) with the power management in Win98SE, but I can' for the life of me pin it down... Any bright ideas?

------------------
It's said that given infinite time, a million monkeys with typewriters would write the finest signature ever created.

This signature? Three monkeys, five minutes.
Old 01-08-01, 03:02 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Check your BIOS and make sure you don't have power-up on keyboard activity, LAN activity, serial port activity, etc. on. There might be settings in Power Management or a board-specific panel in the Control Panel for those too.
Old 01-08-01, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Last time I saw something like this it was a bad powersupply. What exactly were you playing with?
Old 01-08-01, 08:29 PM
Buffetman

I just think that it is possessed!!
Old 01-08-01, 09:56 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Last time I saw something like this it was a bad powersupply.
<HR>

Yep, last time I saw this problem, the power supply was the culprit...
Old 01-08-01, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the last time i had this happen it was a program that was loading into windows and not shutting down. I edited the start up files eliminating all but the necessary ones. when it shut down fine i then added those i wanted to load and the problem never resurfaced. i never took the time to find the exact problem application. since I did not want all the stuff running anyway. try going to run and type in msconfig. select selective startup. I left scanregistry,taskmonitor and system tray. you can unselect everything else more than likely. if you want to leave a few other things feel free. if it shuts down then feel free to add anything back you want one at a time checking to make sure you are stable.
I assumed you were running win 98 if not sorry to bother you

It may also be the power supply as you have already been told
Old 01-09-01, 05:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The power supply's fine; the computer has been running just fine for almost a year now on it. I had to re-install Windows from scratch last week, and for a while it worked properly, but all of a sudden it started refusing to shut down! If it had been right after I reinstalled Windows I'd understand that, but it shut down just fine for a while and then this happens... Also, it's not actually hanging or anything on shutdown; it goes through the motions just fine, but instead of showing the "It is now safe to turn off your computer" message, it goes straight back to POST and boots itself up again! Grrr!

There are about twenty different BIOS options to set what makes it wake up and what doesn't, so I'll have to try switching all them off and seeing what effect, if ny, that has on matters... Wish me luck...

------------------
It's said that given infinite time, a million monkeys with typewriters would write the finest signature ever created.

This signature? Three monkeys, five minutes.
Old 01-10-01, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that is eactly what my old computer did. i fixed it as i described. i tried the bios but it did not help me.
Old 01-10-01, 02:39 AM

There's a great website that can help with this sort of problem, and it's got a great name, too: The Trouble With Windows.

www.windowstrouble.com

There are articles on pretty much every weird little thing Windows does, and how to deal with it.

Jeff

---------
Chickens go in...pies come out.
Old 01-10-01, 05:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Grr, now I'm pissed. Disbled all the different "Wake" prompts under BIOS, no effect. Disabled all the different startup programs one by one, and tried disabling Fast Shutdown as well, no joy either. And I looked at that "Trouble With Windows" site, which although it describes the same problem I'm having, doesn't give a solution that actually applies in my case. The quest continues
Old 01-10-01, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

TCHJ

Why do you feel your power supply is good? Have you tested it in some way? I am telling you, this is a symptom of a bad one.

a power supply cost $20, if you have a store that has a 30 day return policy give it a shot (or if you have another computer to swap one from) 4 screws and few plastic connectors takes 5 minutes to swap.

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-10-01, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

power supply's go bad- maybe yours just did. i would try 4KRG's suggestion. you have tried the software solutions and they did not solve it. then try the hardware one.
another possiblity is to see if 4KRG has plans to vacation in England soon

[This message has been edited by gcribbs (edited January 10, 2001).]
Old 01-10-01, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gcribbs:
another possiblity is to see if 4KRG has plans to vacation in England soon

<HR>

Um no, I don't speak the language