Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

iPhone or Droid (or something else)?

Old 11-14-09, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPhone or Droid (or something else)?

My wife is looking for a new phone. Here are the features she wants:

1. Phone service, of course.
2. Flash-enabled web access (she likes to play some of the Facebook games)
3. She wants it to have an alarm clock, preferably one where she can set one time for weekdays and another for weekends.
4. She wants a dictionary.
5. She wants to be able to play MP3s. We've got everything set up in iTunes, which suggests an iPhone is the way to go ... do other devices have any compatibility issues with Apple's music format?

I will confess that I'm fascinated by the Droid's Google Maps capabilities, so there's a part of me that wants her to get a Droid. But the reality is that we probably only use GPS once or twice a year, so it's not that big a deal.

Another factor -- she's currently a Verizon customer, so Droid means we don't have to deal with the hassle of switching providers.

So what's the right phone for her?

Last edited by JasonF; 11-14-09 at 08:36 PM.
Old 11-14-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: iPhone or Droid (or something else)?

The iPhone does not support Flash

The Droid will support Flash in early 2010.

Your best bet is either the Touch Pro 2 or Imagio. They both support Flash Lite which is not the same as Flash on PCs and Macs but it works.

As for music...

If its a DRM song from iTunes then you won't be able to load it onto anything but an iPhone or iPod. You can do sideloading but you have to manually drag and drop your music on the memory card.

Should you want to make it easier, you can get DoubleTwist for PCs or The Missing Sync for Mac.
Old 11-14-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Winmo supports flash via some of the web browsers out there. The new Opera handles it.
Old 11-14-09, 09:38 PM
Banned by request

I never really tested the iPhone's alarm clock capabilities, but the Droid has extensive options for recurring alarms.
Old 11-14-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

iphone has alarm clock apps, downside is you have to run them all night. mafia wars kind of works in the new facebook app. i've read that zyngia or whatever the name is, they are working on iphone app versions of their facebook games that will connect back to facebook. at least they are with mafia wars

i think the droid supports AAC and i think every thing in itunes is DRM free these days. for old purchases you need to pay steve jobs $.30 per song.
Old 11-14-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
I never really tested the iPhone's alarm clock capabilities, but the Droid has extensive options for recurring alarms.
Kind of a stupid thing but I have to wake up very early just one morning a week. On the Droid I'm able to set an alarm for just Friday morning and forget it. You can do multiple alarms and customize them fairly well.
Old 11-14-09, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Unless your wife is real techy, I’d stay way from Windows Mobile phones. I mean, do you really wants your PHONE running Windows?

The iPhone is the most easily integrated into iTunes. BUT, it does not and probably never will do Flash. Many Flash games have been ported to the iPhone and Adobe recently made it dead-easy for developers to export their Flash programming to an iPhone format with, I shit you not, an iPhone export option.

The Android does not integrate with iTunes but putting music on is as easy as drag-and-drop. The drawback is it can’t play protected files, be it music or videos. The Android is a great phone, very easy to use, and can be customized and expanded more than the iPhone can. But, in my opinion, the iPhone is still easier to use and has a more polished user interface.

A little more food for thought, regarding Flash games: Most of those games are designed for a computer mouse and keyboard. I don’t know how well they will work with a touch screen and mobile keyboard setup.

So it comes down to Flash vs. music.
Old 11-15-09, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber View Post
Kind of a stupid thing but I have to wake up very early just one morning a week. On the Droid I'm able to set an alarm for just Friday morning and forget it. You can do multiple alarms and customize them fairly well.
iPhone does this too. No 3rd party app required (it is the built in Clock) so it does not have to be running to go off. Although I should note for JasonF that it's ringtone wake only. Not sure if that's a big deal for her. The 3rd party alarm clock apps allow you to wake up to full songs, but you have to make sure it's running when you sleep the phone for the night, as Al said.
Old 11-15-09, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Does the droid play genius playlists? Everyone can connect to iTunes and play every music file except for ogg
Old 11-15-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm dumping my iPhone and moving back to the Blackberry. The 9700 comes out on Tuesday (on Tmobile) and will support 3g. The iPhone was good, not great.
Old 11-15-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got a droid. I like the facebook app but I look going online to face book a little more. I guess it depends on what I'm doing. The droid seems to have a big learning curve due to not having any instructions on how to do anything. I know it has a pdf reader but I have no idea where it is.

There is a alarm clock that you can set to any day you want and have it repeat.

There are a couple of option for a dictionary. You can bookmark a dictionary web site or download a dictionary app.

It plays music but I use my touch. I don't have any drm music or music files in a format that can't be read by most devices. If that isn't the case for you the music part might not be a option. I don't think it can do genius playlist but haven't tried. I wouldn't know how to get them on the phone.
Old 11-15-09, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell View Post
I just got a droid. I like the facebook app but I look going online to face book a little more. I guess it depends on what I'm doing. The droid seems to have a big learning curve due to not having any instructions on how to do anything. I know it has a pdf reader but I have no idea where it is.

There is a alarm clock that you can set to any day you want and have it repeat.

There are a couple of option for a dictionary. You can bookmark a dictionary web site or download a dictionary app.

It plays music but I use my touch. I don't have any drm music or music files in a format that can't be read by most devices. If that isn't the case for you the music part might not be a option. I don't think it can do genius playlist but haven't tried. I wouldn't know how to get them on the phone.
The Droid's Facebook app isn't as good as say the iPhone's Facebook. It is a bit frustrating to navigate.
Old 11-15-09, 04:35 PM
Banned

Don't forget to take into consideration the network. Ask around to friends that have AT&T and see how their service is. Nothing would be more frustrating than switching for an iPhone and then not being able to use it.

FWIW, I love my Droid and everyone that sees it is amazed. Even my friends with iPhones. The most admired parts are the Google Navigation, and the gorgeous screen.
Old 11-15-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good point about the network. My office just witched me from T-Mobile to AT&T and apparently, my house is in a dead zone for AT&T. My blackberry gets one or two bars in my living room and zero or one in my bedroom. I keep meaning to buy a signal booster ... Meanwhile, her Verizon phone always has had great reception in the house and elsewhere.

As for the songs, does it make a difference that all of our music is stuff we bought on CD and ripped via iTunes, as opposed to stuff bought in soft copy in the first instance?
Old 11-15-09, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

No.
Old 11-15-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

as someone who is married and has a wife that's a tech-tard, i wouldn't recommend the Droid for a woman.
Old 11-15-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the iPhone is a perfect wife phone. My wife likes hers.
Old 11-16-09, 03:54 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by nickdawgy View Post
The Droid's Facebook app isn't as good as say the iPhone's Facebook. It is a bit frustrating to navigate.
The navigation itself isn't that big of a problem, but it's not as smooth as the iPhone's, which pretty much replicates every aspect of the web version. The real problem are the things that the Android Facebook app won't do. For example, if you want to look at someone's photos, it sends you to the web. It doesn't even have an event section, as far as I can tell. It's one of the few places the iPhone is clearly superior. I'm surprised Facebook hasn't made their app more robust on Android.
Old 11-16-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

The navigation itself isn't that big of a problem, but it's not as smooth as the iPhone's, which pretty much replicates every aspect of the web version. The real problem are the things that the Android Facebook app won't do. For example, if you want to look at someone's photos, it sends you to the web. It doesn't even have an event section, as far as I can tell. It's one of the few places the iPhone is clearly superior. I'm surprised Facebook hasn't made their app more robust on Android.
I thought "doesn't" wasn't in their dictionary. To be fair to Facebook though, it was pretty limited on the iPhone until the update a month or two back.
Old 11-16-09, 10:12 AM
Banned

And Joe Hewitt, who developed the Facebook app for iPhone, has been VERY vocally displeased with the iPhone application process. He still works for Facebook, so I don't see why he wouldn't work on an Android app.

guess we'll have to wait and see...
Old 11-16-09, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Good point about the network. My office just witched me from T-Mobile to AT&T and apparently, my house is in a dead zone for AT&T. My blackberry gets one or two bars in my living room and zero or one in my bedroom. I keep meaning to buy a signal booster ... Meanwhile, her Verizon phone always has had great reception in the house and elsewhere.

As for the songs, does it make a difference that all of our music is stuff we bought on CD and ripped via iTunes, as opposed to stuff bought in soft copy in the first instance?
You'll have absolutely no problem using your music on any phone. yay!

My wife has Sprint and has thrown her Palm Centro against the wall on more than one occasion when it drops important calls in our house. She now leaves it next to the deck door and goes out there whenever it rings. She desperately wants to switch to Verizon before it gets any colder here.
Old 11-16-09, 10:30 AM
Banned

I love this alarm clock app... $.99

http://www.androlib.com/android.appl...-mac-jiiw.aspx

Get the Best Reviewed Alarm Clock!

Optionally requires you solve math equation(s)(4 difficulty levels) to snooze/dismiss the alarm. Power naps. Many options: Snoozes before math, Number of problems, Multiple choice, Random Song Alarm, more.. 21 Options!!

(11/2) 2.2.2 - Percentage Difficulty Fixed.

Math Alarm Clock was developed for Android by AV Productions
Old 11-16-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
As does my wife
Old 11-16-09, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
My wife liked the iPhone for games, but she wasn't impressed otherwise. She would carry around a black and white screen rotary phone if she could. Technology isn't important to her.
Old 11-16-09, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

There's no Facebook chat on Android either. On iPhone, it works flawlessly.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.