Reload this Page >

Switching from Qwest to Comcast - E-mail Account Question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-13-09, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've tried researching this online but I get 50/50 on the answer. I wanted to know if I switch from Qwest MSN and to Comcast, will I lose my msn.com e-mail address? I called Comcast tech support and they say yes, Qwest says no, but you will have to check your e-mail via hotmail.com and will lose any premium account sizes (which is fine). Doing a Google search, some people say yes you do lose it, other say you don't and they've had their msn.com address for years.

Obviously I'm inclined to take Qwest's word for it (yeah, ok) but before I switched, I wanted to make sure either way from anyone here who perhaps has done this before...
Old 11-13-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Switching from Qwest to Comcast - E-mail Account Question

I don't know what kind of email you have. Is it @hotmail or @live or something similar? If so, you shouldn't lose it.

If it's with the ISP directly (eg @quest.com) then yeah, you'll almost certainly lose it.

I never keep an email address with my ISP. I've had a web-based email address (first Yahoo and now for several years Gmail) for many years (probably 10 or more).

If you do lose your email address... My advice is to get a web-based email address like Gmail. Or buy a domain name with email accounts so you don't lose your email address in the future.
Old 11-13-09, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

move to gmail
Old 11-14-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars View Post
I don't know what kind of email you have. Is it @hotmail or @live or something similar? If so, you shouldn't lose it.

If it's with the ISP directly (eg @quest.com) then yeah, you'll almost certainly lose it.

I never keep an email address with my ISP. I've had a web-based email address (first Yahoo and now for several years Gmail) for many years (probably 10 or more).

If you do lose your email address... My advice is to get a web-based email address like Gmail. Or buy a domain name with email accounts so you don't lose your email address in the future.
Mine is @msn.com

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
move to gmail
Already have, but I still have important e-mails coming to my old address for the time being.
Old 11-15-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheMovieman View Post
Mine is @msn.com
Then I think Quest is right. You'll not lose it. It doesn't sound like it's tied to your Quest account.
Old 11-16-09, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You will not loose it. I switched around a few times and never lost my .msn.com email acct.
Old 11-17-09, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DodgingCars View Post
Then I think Quest is right. You'll not lose it. It doesn't sound like it's tied to your Quest account.
Originally Posted by roger_d View Post
You will not loose it. I switched around a few times and never lost my .msn.com email acct.
Great, thanks guys.
Old 11-18-09, 12:16 AM
Banned

I had a trial version of MSN back in the day, got a @msn.com e-mail address and have since been with another provider. I've still got my original @msn.com account even though I have to check via www.hotmail.com You will lose any premium privileges you had with the paid subscription of MSN/QWest though, which reverts your account to the free account settings.

I also know of a couple people who still have @msn.com instead of hotmail.com
Old 11-18-09, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
I had a trial version of MSN back in the day, got a @msn.com e-mail address and have since been with another provider. I've still got my original @msn.com account even though I have to check via www.hotmail.com You will lose any premium privileges you had with the paid subscription of MSN/QWest though, which reverts your account to the free account settings.

I also know of a couple people who still have @msn.com instead of hotmail.com
Yeah, figured that, no big deal. Thanks for your input.
Old 11-18-09, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You will NOT loose your msn/hotmail/yahoo/gmail... acct, they are all seperate from your provider.