Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

broadband internet problems

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-12-09, 11:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm on broadband, and I'm on a plan when I get 20 GIGS of usage per. mouth. Anyway, browsing websites and most of the time youtube videos are ok, but when I'm watching a TV show that I watch via a streaming online source, it's painfully slow, almost like a dial-up connection. The thing is, Ive been on this plan for a while, and it used to always load up quickly no matter how long the show was. But now, MOST OF THE TIME its really - really slow to load up lets say a 21-to-23 minute video. Can anyone give me any tips in how I can make it speed up when watching these 20 odd minute videos? Like maybe something to do with the modem or something..
Old 11-12-09, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: broadband internet problems

20 gbs of data per month but at what speed?

My speed is at 768 kilobits (not kilo/megabytes) and it can be slow for hd video streams which come in a about 2 megabits while lower streams vary between 500-1000 kbps. So what helps in my case is to first pause the video and let it download ahead so it won't lag.
Old 11-13-09, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: broadband internet problems

Too many variables to answer the question, what service provider, what speed, what modem, what kind of pc, video card, settings on card, ram . . . .