Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

A Huge Day for DVD, Thanks to Apple

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

A Huge Day for DVD, Thanks to Apple

Old 01-09-01, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know there are a couple of posts concerning the DVD burner... But this is far more substantial than that.

This is an incredible day for the consumer computing market, as Apple has brought real DVD authoring and mastering to our desktops, rounding out the post production capabilities they have delivered with the viable Final Cut Pro. For the price of having one DVD very simply produced you can have the most powerful consumer desktop computer available and DVD authoring software and hardware. The Apple/Pioneer SuperDrive will come bundled with the top model G4, and have iDVD software. It will be available separately of course. But with the DVD Studio Pro software, like Final Cut Pro, Apple is providing the digital tools to facilitate affordable production throughout the entire post production chain. Combined with Photoshop, Maya, and other apps, you could never do more for the money than you can now. I'm sure there will be some initial shortcomings, but this will be improved upon, with further Apple updates and third party products. Keep in mind however, no one else delivered. The amazing thing is that it's here and that it's affordable. It's a very big deal. For reference, at up to 5.5 GigaFlops of processing power in single processor configurations, the Macs that are powering many a professional Avid or Maya suite or working in Henry or Inferno bays are far less powerful than these.

And the new PowerBook is the most powerful and capable mobile computing device ever brought to market. Besides epic design, there is a lot of substance here for multimedia professionals and DVD fans. Especially regarding cinema. One inch thick, titanium shell with a carbon fiber frame, VGA and S-Video out, and a 15.2 inch screen with an aspect ratio of 3:2. FireWire, of course. Remarkable.
<http://www.apple.com/powerbook/design.html>

I have no intention, or interest, in starting a platform debate, but I think it's very relevant to point out that all of this will be running on OS X, based on BSD Unix. That means unrivaled stability in the commercial consumer OS market. It will street March 24. For reference, Linux is a Unix derivative.

It's a good day.

------------------
My DVD Library

[This message has been edited by reverb (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-09-01, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone want to buy my soul for 5 grand, i'd like to get the top of the line model.

daveninja.jealous

ps- im stuck with my rev 1 G3 B&W 350Mhz machine and its great, i couldnt imagine having a faster Mac

pps - pcs is suck, he he