Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Office 2000 problem

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Office 2000 problem

Old 01-08-01, 04:23 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have Office 2000 Professional (Academic). I just formatted my computer and trying to reinstall it. When I try to reinstall Office and run it for the first time, a registration screen pops up so I register for it. However, then it says that this copy has already been registered on a computer! Well, no s***, it's this computer before the format, but it won't register and therefore get rid of the limited use! Anybody know what I can do? I'm really confused.. I have another friend who formats about every 3 months and he can re-register just fine!
Old 01-08-01, 07:21 PM
Buffetman

Is it asking for the serial number ? I thought you were able to skip the registration process though.
Old 01-08-01, 07:42 PM
Cool New Member

No, I use the registration/serial key or whatever. When I run any program in Office, it asks me to register and if I don't, I can only run it like 40 times. Does nobody else get that registration screen?
Old 01-08-01, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have never used the Academic version, no idea. If it is a legal license call MS.
Old 01-08-01, 10:20 PM
Mod Emeritus

Sounds like you are using the newest MS copy protected version of Office. If I understand right, the initial registration key is only good for the first use. After the initial use, you must contact MS either by phone or online to request a new registration key. Ain't it grand?

From MS:

Product Registration
The Registration Wizard is a new anti-piracy technology in Microsoft Office 2000 designed to reduce end-user copying by requiring user registration. Users will be prompted to register their copy of Office 2000 the first time they install and launch any of the applications. The Office Registration Wizard technology allows users to launch Office 2000 applications 50 times before registration is required. Upon the 51st use, users will need to register in order to continue using Office 2000 applications.

Also see... http://www.salonmag.com/21st/feature...27feature.html

------------------
D.
Old 01-09-01, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk God

the way i read it was that the new anti piracy scheme was going to take and associate your serial with a specific number from your hardware.. whether its a fcc id or a mac address Im not sure.. but if that was the case, you shouldnt have any problem reinstalling on the same computer