Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

WHOO HOO! $995 DVD Recorder arrives this spring!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

WHOO HOO! $995 DVD Recorder arrives this spring!

Old 01-07-01, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This article on maccentral gives some details on the new Pioneer DVR-103 Recordable DVD/CD drive which will begin shipping this spring. There's a link to Pioneer in the article, but it lead me to a blank page.

There are few details but it's an internnal drive and is most likely a SCSI device. The only announced OEM distributor so far is Compaq, but others will soon follow. Apple has not announced it yet, but Macworld is this week.

I guess we'll have Star Wars on DVD sooner than we thought

Jason
Old 01-07-01, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much is the recordable media do you know?
Last I heard, a blank dvd costs $30-40? I could be wrong, do you know?
Old 01-07-01, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by jeffoo:
How much is the recordable media do you know?
Last I heard, a blank dvd costs $30-40? I could be wrong, do you know?
<HR>

I saw the $10-$15 number in the article, but I'm sure that price will drop. After all, noone's going to make the media until the drive is actually in production.

I'm sure the small number of the current $4600 players on the market is what keeps the price of the media so high at this time. Once these drives ship in larger numbers, the discs will get cheaper in a short period of time. I don't think we'll see blank DVDs for 25 cents each for a while, though.

J
Old 01-09-01, 11:53 AM

I saw it on tech TV last night.
discs were $10 but pioneer said they expect them to be the same as cdrs by
the end of the year!

DUE OUT 1RST of NEXT MONTH!

[This message has been edited by kingdome2000 (edited January 09, 2001).]
Old 01-09-01, 01:20 PM
Retired

That's a good sign. I won't consider getting one until you can get set top ones for around $500. I don't need that much storage on my pc, but would love to have one for taping stuff on tv. It would be great if they eventually come out with dvd-rw discs and make a recorder-disc changer that works like a tivo, then you could have as much storage time as you had discs.

------------------
Josh Hinkle
My DVD's
My CD's
Old 01-09-01, 01:41 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by joshhinkle:
That's a good sign. I won't consider getting one until you can get set top ones for around $500. I don't need that much storage on my pc, but would love to have one for taping stuff on tv. It would be great if they eventually come out with dvd-rw discs and make a recorder-disc changer that works like a tivo, then you could have as much storage time as you had discs.

<HR>

You will get what you want, you'll just have to wait a while. I was reading some articles on this new DVD-R drive and saw some information about what you are looking for. Next year Pioneer will be releasing a unit which has a buffer (much like a Tivo's storage) and a DVD-RW combined. From what I understand, you will be able to record to the buffer and if you decide to keep it, record it to a disc.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-09-01, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

can someone explain the difference between DVD-R and DVD-RAM??? aren't DVD-RAM drives recordable??
Old 01-09-01, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

mkdevo, DVD-RAm is for data storage only. It's a recordable disc in a caddy. Doen't record video and can't play on set-top players. Think really big zip disk. Useful, but the disks are expensive and it's sloooooow.

I was checking updates from Macworld and the DVD-R, called "Superdrive" will be a BTO option for G4 macs (now with 5 PCI slots!!) and standard equipment of the top drawer model. They have two authoring packages, one designed for home use and a professional package which will sell for $599. I imagine this is the new version of Astarte's DVDcreator.

This is going to be really, really cool.

J