Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ugh. Buffer Underruns

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Ugh. Buffer Underruns

Old 01-08-01, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm never going to escape buffer underruns. When doing a disc copy in Nero, I get a buffer underrun every time. When using Adaptec, I get one half of the time.

I don't know which info. is pertinent but I have an 866 Mhz, 256 RAM computer. The burner is an LG 8x (part of the Dell package). Both drives are IDE. What is my best bet for copying cd to cd? I do quite a bit of bootleg trading so I need to be able to copy a disc quickly. Not necessarily in record speed, but preferably not at 1x either.

Thanks.

[This message has been edited by chays99 (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old 01-08-01, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Are both IDE cd drives on the SAME IDE channel?

What speed are you rying to copy at? maybe slow it down a little, if you are using 8X drop to 4X.

It would help you to put the reader on one channel and the writer on another.

it would help to buy a Plextor CDRW.

it would help to do nothing else while the machine is burning a disk.
Old 01-08-01, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
4 KRG-What's the difference with the IDE channels being on the same/different channels?

chays99-I'm using a Yamaha EZ2100 burner, and their program "Fast Audio Rip" allows you to burn CD to CD at 16X speed. I haven't had any errors yet. If you burn and trade that much, you may want to consider the Yamaha. Burns a music CD in about 3 minutes.
Old 01-08-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
4 KRG-What's the difference with the IDE channels being on the same/different channels?

<HR>

It provides a little better performance ou of the IDE interface having the reader on one channel and the writer on another. This could help reduce the buffer underrun problem.

Old 01-08-01, 04:23 PM

4KRG,

I believe both drives are on the same channel. How difficult is it to put them on separate channels? I have been burning at 8x and doing absolutely nothing else on the machine while it burns.

I had this problem on my last computer and was hoping to get past it this time.

dvdsteve2000,

Thanks for the tip. I'll look into it. 3 minutes is pretty damn fast.
Old 01-08-01, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Turn off all the crap like MS task scheduler etc that you don't need while burning.

This helps me heaps as my PC with the burner in it is a crappy old Pentium 90 up the back of the room and it needs all the help it can get.

I found also for some strange reason ICQ wasd playing havoc with it too. Used to get Buffer UR's all the time before i got rid of ICQ? Go figure.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-08-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by chays99:
4KRG,

I believe both drives are on the same channel. How difficult is it to put them on separate channels? I have been burning at 8x and doing absolutely nothing else on the machine while it burns.

<HR>

That is relative. For me it would take 2 minutes.

Look inside your PC and locate the IDE cables (40pin usually grey flat ribbon type) Your hard drive is most likely conected to one and your cd-rom and cdr are also connected to them. The first device on each cable is usually the Master and the Second device the slave. Keeping the master/slave correct, move one cd-rom device to the other IDE cable.

On a machine as fast as yours, you should be able to burn 8x no problem. I can do it on a P166, but with SCSI devices , no problems.

If you have a screen saver, turn it off. Turn off any other background apps like fhrx suggested.
Old 01-08-01, 11:11 PM

i just got my iomega 12x10x32 form compusa today with burnproof. i have my dvd and cd-rw on the same channel... i burned cd to cd on the fly at 12x with winamp and internet explorer open. no more buffer underrun for me!

anyway, my advice is to get a drive with burnproof.
Old 01-09-01, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

if you want another option other than buying a new burner, just download feurio! imo, it is the best audio burning software... more info and download link here:

http://www.etree.org/feurio.html

i used to have crazy buffer problems too.. feurio will fix it right up for you.
Old 01-09-01, 10:09 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried most of them though. I should probably just try to burn at a lower speed.

I'll check out the software, too. Thanks.