Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Freeware that cycles through 'My Pictures' folder as a screensaver?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 11-05-09, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Essentially turning my monitor into a digital picture frame. Also, was wondering if there is a good program that cycles through 'my pictures' as a background as well, changing it, say everytime you restart the computer?

I read in PC world that there is a program like this that works for pictures that are hosted on flickr, but most of my stuff is on photobucket. However, I was hoping you guys may know of something that just cycles through the 'My Pictures' folder on a pc and then I wouldn't have to host anything and could just go from the pictures already saved to my computer.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-05-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Freeware that cycles through 'My Pictures' folder as a screensaver?

XP had "My Pictures Slideshow" built in that did this, guess it wasn't in Vista though. Looks like it is easy enough to add it though (don't know if it works for Windows 7)

Import My Pictures Slideshow from XP to Vista

While playing around with Windows Vista’s screensavers, I discovered that my beloved “My Pictures Slideshow” did not exist. I used it all the time in Windows XP! So, being the geek that I am, I figured out how to import it into Vista. Here’s how I did it…

1. In Windows XP, in the Start Menu, click “Search”. (if you don’t have Search, right-click the Start button and choose “properties”, then “customize”. On the “Advanced” tab, put a checkbox next to “Search”, then click “ok” twice.)

2. Click “All Files and Folders”

3. Type “*.scr” (without the quotes), remember to include the asterick (“*”) and the period, and press enter on your keyboard.

4. There will be one called “ssmypics.scr”. Select the file, right-click and choose “copy”, then right-click and choose “paste” on the desktop.

4a. You can also download it directly from my website here

5. You can now burn the file to CD, copy and paste it onto a thumbdrive, or into a shared network folder.

6. Access the file in Windows Vista, then copy and paste it into the “C:\Windows\System32\” directory.

7. Right click the desktop, choose “personlize”, then “screen saver”, and the new screensaver should now appear along with the rest.
Old 11-05-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great thanks for the help, I have XP and didn't even know it has this feature, any idea where to find it or should I just search for "my pictures slideshow"?
Old 11-05-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Right click your desktop and select properties. Click the Screen Savers tab and select My Pictures Slideshow.
Old 11-05-09, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not free, but more than worth the price of $12.95 is "screenpaver" available from http://screenpaver.com. You can select photos from multiple folders, can adjust the time each slide is on screen, can have it show the photo titles or not - you can do so much with it!! I have been using it for about 10 years now - it's now on version 4.4 b. Download and try it - you'll love it! The only thing you won't enjoy about the non-registered version is the reminders that you're using an unregistered version!
Old 11-05-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Windows 7 does a great job of this on it's own.

Before that, I used Webshots.
Old 11-05-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is there a program that can do the same thing but using iTunes cover art instead?
Old 11-05-09, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Chew View Post
Windows 7 does a great job of this on it's own.

Before that, I used Webshots.
Yeah, I just saw that in Windows and it's a pretty nice option.
Old 11-06-09, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Palaver View Post
Right click your desktop and select properties. Click the Screen Savers tab and select My Pictures Slideshow.
As usual the tech talkers come through once again, gracias. Anybody, know the difference between the "my pictures slideshow" option and the "my pictures premium"? Also, might try the other program suggested. Thanks again.
Old 11-06-09, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood View Post
Is there a program that can do the same thing but using iTunes cover art instead?
The new Zune software will do this. Instead of a visualizer it displays a tiled wall of random album art and changes the tiles over time. Really cool feature.
Old 11-06-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Duh Vuh Duh View Post
Anybody, know the difference between the "my pictures slideshow" option and the "my pictures premium"?
http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/...xp_mce2005.asp
XP MCE 2005 also ships with a unique screensaver called My Pictures Premium: This screensaver presents an animated slideshow of your My Pictures folder, with optional background music, and is quite nice.

http://ottawapc.com/photosvideo/photos.htm
use the My Pictures Premium Screensaver to pick your favorite photos and display them in exciting 3D screensavers such as a virtual photo album, photo cube, or carousel.