Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Region 0

Old 11-03-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Region 0

I got these DVDs from eBay that are labeled as Region 0. I assumed this meant I'd be able to play them on my hardware. My DVD player rejects the discs outright. My computer wants to switch the Region code to 2.

Should Region 0 discs do this? Is this a misprint or typical behavior for Region 0? They are BBC DVDs so that might explain why they are actually Region 2.

Weird. Caveat emptor, I know. I have ways around this annoyance but I'm sort of bummed out I won't be able to play the original discs.
Old 11-03-09, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Region 0

Region 0 is not an official setting, but is unofficially used as a "region free" setting so that the disc can be played in any region. They are popular in bootleg DVDs, particularly from China. Since they are officially out of spec some players will not play them.
Old 11-03-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Which is why I'm confused. Region-free would imply that my computer would not ask me to change my Region setting to 2. I can only change it 5 times. Region-free would also imply that my DVD player would play it. Just wondering if I got screwed by the eBay seller or if this is just the way it is.
Old 11-03-09, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I always thought that "region 0" labeled discs were actually "region all" discs, where the disc has flags set for all the regions, i.e. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 (although I've seen some only set to play regions 1-6)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_reg..._and_countries

I have plenty of legit DVDs from Hong Kong that had "region 0" on them, and never had any issues playing them on any DVD player (at least, no issues due to region coding). When I've checked the discs on my PC, these discs always come up as being playable in multiple regions.

Seeing as you got the DVD from eBay however, it's possible the DVD is a pirated copy. Most pirate copies are made all-region, but it's possible the pirate for this disc forgot to change the coding.

There's also the possibility that the DVDs are PAL encoded, especially since they are BBC titles. Some standalone players can't convert PAL to the NTSC standard, although a PC should be able to play PAL with no issues.

I think the eBay seller sent you a pirated DVD. Even if he didn't, the disc obviously isn't working as advertised, and you should get a refund.
Old 11-03-09, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My computer identifies the discs are Region 2. I'm not familiar with pirated discs but they are from Hong Kong and look legitimate.
Old 11-03-09, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
My computer identifies the discs are Region 2. I'm not familiar with pirated discs but they are from Hong Kong and look legitimate.
Legit discs from Hong Kong are never going to be Region 2. They're mostly going to be either Region 3 or All Region.

Pirated copies can look very professional. Some are made on the same presses that make legit DVDs.

eBay is flooded with pirated DVDs. If you want legit Hong Kong DVDs, check out legit stores like www.dddhouse.com or www.buyoyo.com , or check the International DVD section on this forum.