Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Who here knows the most, complicated problem needing answer

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Who here knows the most, complicated problem needing answer

Old 01-08-01, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know 4KRG will give it a whirl. This problem makes all the other posts I did look like nothing. It took me the past 3 hours just to actually be able to connect to the internet again, but that's thanks to my ISP being the most retarded around.

Ok, I'm using a dialup cable modem, I use the phone line to upload, cable to download, but i've explained all of this before. I ordered myself a SMC Barricade router and it finally arrived today. The router works for both Dialup networking (DUN used as of now) and DSL/cable modems, but nothing is specified for my type of connection so i'm going blindly.

I installed the software and all that stuff and went through the configuration. I tried both the dynamic ip and the ISDN options on the router to connect myself but it wouldn't allow me to connect. As a matter of fact, the cable modem doesn't even dial to the isp even though all the settings are setup perfectly.

I'm wondering if there is an easy solution to this, I don't use DUN to connect to the internet as this "cable modem" has it's own proprietary software that dials for you and leaves very little in the configuration that you can do, it's basically all invisible **** in some dll file. My pc doesn't even have a modem so I don't have DUN installed. So basically, is there any way I can connect myself to the internet through the router using my connection?? I'm connected like this :
phone line TO cable modem
cable TO cable modem
cable modem TO WAN interface on router
router TO uplink interface on switch
Pc's TO switch

The connections all work on that, green lights everywhere so the problem is in the fact that i'm using a stupid dial up for a cable modem... So is anyone gonna fix this for me or should I see how much explosives I can fit in my cable modem and go back to a normal dialup.

I'm posting this as when I configured the router, I think it changed something in the registry but all I know is that I couldn't connect to the internet at all. The modem was connected and everything working, but there was an ip somewhere that I couldn't see that was stopping the packets from leaving, even with the router unplugged and everything. I had to delete most of the programs on my pc, unplug the router and switch and still re-install Win95 to actually be able to post this meaning I am completly stumped!

Old 01-08-01, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feneant

I will give you the answer you do not want to hear

The SMC barricade was not designed to run with your setup, it was made for the mainstream straight DSL/CABLE or DUN.

Just a hunch is the setup for a standard cable modem would be the closest to yours. Since the dialup software is proprietary you will always have to invoke this manually. If the SMC Bar. is setup in standard cable modem mode with DHCP enabled, it should start working (I am guessing you use DHCP since it is sort of a dialup) as soon as you connect. The SMC should not care in your case that you have dial up.

It may be possible to 'hack' around and get it to run (it should be possible all the pieces are there) but that is going to be up to your skills.

I am curious about one connection. The link that connects the dialup/cable modem deivce to your PC, what is it?

What is it inside your PC that it connects to?

example- the connection from the dialup/cable modem is a standard cat 3 or cat 5 RJ45 patch cord and it plugs into an everyday ordinary 10BT network card (like a 3com 3c905)

OR

this is a proprietary interface invented by the dialup/cable modem company and I have never seen anything like it before

Get what I am getting at???
Old 01-08-01, 10:09 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

I am curious about one connection. The link that connects the dialup/cable modem deivce to your PC, what is it?

What is it inside your PC that it connects to?
<HR>

The ISP isn't smart enough to use some sorta whacky interface, the modem connects to the pc using traditional ethernet standards. Does use DHCP though, here's a small part of the connection text :
Modem is DIALING
Modem is negotiating PPP
Modem is negotiating DHCP

I tried using the cable modem setup as it does use DHCP, but for the life of me, I couldn't get the modem to even dialup when it was connected to the router. I think I'll Email my ISP to complain some more till they give us real cable modems, I mean they are owned by Rogers so why don't we get @home.
Old 01-08-01, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I see the problem, but I am not sure how to fix it from here

Your PC sends a proprietary signal via this enthernet connection to the modem to invoke the dial up (I say proprietary cause no one else does this and it is not a part of the ethernet standard or the cable modem standard).

The SMC unit is most likely blocking this signal or somehow causeing the disconnect.

Your PC is use to having a communication ability with the modem that is based on something other than IP in order to initiate this dial-up system. The pc must communicate with the modem via some protocol before DHCP assigns an address that is how I know.

SMC is blocking this protocol (or just not letting that protocol pass properly) to the modem. You will need to find someone fairly high up at your cable company tech support to be able to figure out what exactly goes on during this process and how you might modify the pieces to make it run.

But like I said earlier, the SMC is not designed for your use. For that matter I would bet none of the personal router units are.
Old 01-08-01, 10:54 PM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

The SMC unit is most likely blocking this signal or somehow causeing the disconnect.
<HR>

I'm thinking the router blocks the connection at this point : "Sending Connect Packet", meaning that it never leaves the network. I could try to go around that by putting that as something that's allowed on the router, but damn, if it doesn't work, it takes a long time to get it to work again. Besides, to put it as an exception, i'd need to know more information from the ISP like the ip to which the packet is sent and the port, but i'm thinking they don't give that information to customers.

[added]
Thanks for the help 4KRG, you're always one of the first, if not first, to assist the ones posting in this forum and i'm sure I speak for everyone when I say that we all appreciate it.

[This message has been edited by Feneant (edited January 08, 2001).]
Old 01-08-01, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Feneant

If you really feel you need 'something' in place. You can do this with a PC, windows 2000 or 98se, and 2 network cards and get rid of the SMC.

Connect everything like you did before you bought the SMC, add a second NIC, enable connection sharing, run blackice or zonealarm. Connect a cat 3 patch cord from teh 2nd NIC to a dumb hub, plug any additional PCs into the dumb hub.

This will accomplish the same end result, but be a bit more expensive to install since you will need a 2nd pc with multiple NIC cards. This is actually how I run my home setup.

and you are welcome. I do this because I truly love figuring things out. The forum medium and thrid party translation of the problem just adds an extra challenge.