Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

What should I get for a new SCSI card?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

What should I get for a new SCSI card?

Old 12-31-00, 07:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm looking at getting a new SCSI card because my current one isn't too happy with Windows 2000. I have a DVD-ROM and a CD-R connected to the drive currently as well as a scanner. The only other thing I may add within the next year or two is a tape drive. Other than that I don't think I'll be using it for anything else. I would like the new card to be bootable.

Currently I have a Promise Technology Simple SCSI (Fast SCSI-2). It uses the Symbios Logic 53C810 chipset.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 12-31-00, 07:26 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Take a look at the Adaptec 2940 (AU model, I think it is). Maybe they have a more current model.

You only need 8-bit SCSI and no fast speed. And it has an external connector.

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 31, 2000).]
Old 12-31-00, 07:38 PM
Mod Emeritus

Forgot to menyion that I don't really want to spend more than $100. I'll check into the 2940 to see what that has to offer and what the cost is.

------------------
Old 12-31-00, 07:49 PM
X
Administrator

http://www.adaptec.com/products/over...2940ultra.html

Saw various versions at pricewatch.com for ~$79 - $100. Be careful of the ultrawide version - it will have a 68-pin external connector. You want 8-bit SCSI, not 16-bit (as I may have said earlier).
Old 12-31-00, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

ADAPTEC

oh sorry, did I shout

I just want to toss another fact in here for you folks, I saw talk in another thread, but I do not want to find it Windows 2000 drivers for MOST hardware were not written by Microsoft (I think and ATI rage fury was in question) the drivers in WIn2k were written by the original manufacturer, sent to MS for review, approved denied and/or changed, then added to the win2k install cd. If a company (such as ATI) does not offer an updated driver for an outdated card, that means they spent as much time and money as they could and the best driver they felt like releasing is on the win2k cd. whew, now that said, get a video card from this century and you will be fine
Old 12-31-00, 11:50 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
whew, now that said, get a video card from this century and you will be fine
<HR>

Since mine wasn't released until February or March of 2000, I'd say it's fairly recent.

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Jason Northrup:
Since mine wasn't released until February or March of 2000, I'd say it's fairly recent.

<HR>

Maybe I should be more clear. Not the physical card date. The date of the technology inside the card.

here is a quote for you about your card

"The name already shows it, Rage 128 Pro is not a completely new chip, but an enhanced Rage 128. The most obvious enhancement is of course the core and memory clock:"

This came from a Tom's Hardware review, point is the technology inside your card is actually years old, the card is just a re-tweaked release of old technology. Now you know why you got it cheap

Old 01-01-01, 12:28 AM
Mod Emeritus

I found this place to have the best deal on the card. Every other place has it dor $130 or more (1 or 2 had it for $100). If you guys think this is the one to get, let me know and I'll pull the plastic out.

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
...point is the technology inside your card is actually years old, the card is just a re-tweaked release of old technology
<HR>

Point taken. For what I need a video card for it is fine for the most part. Back in Fabruary I started looking for a new video card to upgrade from my Diamond Viper 330 (nVidia Riva 128). Originally I was only planning on a $100 price range, but I uped it to the $140 because I thought it would be a good oportunity to get something with video capture. I did realize that when I got it that the vidcap wouldn't be perfect, but it isn't bad (it's worked for what I wanted after getting hold of some additional software). I don't do much gaming, so 3D quality wasn't that important (it's a lot better than my old Diamond).

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

2940 - GO FOR IT!! Great card, even in win2k, even though it is dated (for this card it does not matter, perfection is timeless )
Old 01-01-01, 12:47 AM
X
Administrator

I found this place to have the best deal on the card. Every other place has it dor $130 or more (1 or 2 had it for $100). If you guys think this is the one to get, let me know and I'll pull the plastic out.
<HR>

Looks good to me. I'm using one to run external CD-R, CD-ROM changer, DDS-3 tape backup, 1GB hard drive used for cache, and scanner.

By the way, I have an ATI XPERT 98 (Rage 64) $40 piece of crap running in a Windows 2000 system, and it works great. It's Windows 98 that I had trouble with (until I finally found the secret driver).
Old 01-01-01, 12:00 PM
Mod Emeritus

After reading this I'm not sure if I will buy from that place. So it looks like I may still be hunting for a deal on this (or any other one recomended in my price range).

http://www.resellerratings.com/vendone.cgi?ACMicro

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 12:16 PM
Mod Emeritus

I think I'm gonna go with this place. The price is a little more but the rating is better and will keep me more confident about my purchase. I'm gonna hold off until the end of the day, so any more input will be appreciated.

http://www.resellerratings.com/vendo...Computers,Inc.

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 03:10 PM
X
Administrator

I've recently dealt with a company that gave me excellent prices and service. Hyper Microsystems in Illinois (hypermicro.com), but I didn't see your card listed. You might want to call them.
Old 01-01-01, 08:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

I've been checking some stuff out and it looks like there isn't a whole lot of difference between the 2930Ultra and the 2940Ultra. the 2930 is much easier to get from a reliable retailer for $100 or less but is very hard to do with the 2940. Should I search some more fr the 2940, or get the 2930?

http://www.adaptec.com/products/data...ilaha2930.html

http://www.adaptec.com/products/over...2940ultra.html

------------------
Old 01-01-01, 08:29 PM
X
Administrator

I sure can't tell any differences. Did you find any? I just never used a 2930 but it looks fine. Sure would like to know the differences though.
Old 01-01-01, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The biggest difference is in Operating Systems supported.

The 2930 card is designed for desktop use, on DOS and Windows platforms.

The 2940 was designed for high end workstation/server use and supports unix, novell, and of course dos and windows.

I would not have any problems using a 2930 card, but Jason I think you run all the OS out there on one machine. You may want to double check what kind of driver support you will have with a 2930. Otherwise 2930 it is
Old 01-02-01, 12:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Did some research and it looks like the 2930U would work. Although Be does not list support for the AHA-2930U, it does list the AIC-7880 chipset (which is what the 2930 uses). Redhat 6.2 lists both the AHA 2930U and the AIC-7880. Also, under Linux it looks like the 2930 and the 2940 would use the same driver module (which works for all AIC-7xxx based cards).

I'm still thinking about the possibillity of the 2940 though. I'm going to wait and see what tomorrow's car maintainence bill looks like before making a decision.

------------------
Old 01-02-01, 01:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Did some research and it looks like the 2930U would work. Although Be does not list support for the AHA-2930U, it does list the AIC-7880 chipset (which is what the 2930 uses). Redhat 6.2 lists both the AHA 2930U and the AIC-7880. Also, under Linux it looks like the 2930 and the 2940 would use the same driver module (which works for all AIC-7xxx based cards).

I'm still thinking about the possibillity of the 2940 though. I'm going to wait and see what tomorrow's car maintainence bill looks like before making a decision.

<HR>

If it's supported, I think the 2930 is a good card. I use them in machines that I'm adding external CDs, scanners, etc... I have the 2940s in a couple of servers and they are fine too.

------------------
D.
Old 01-02-01, 01:30 PM

Be careful when using a single-channeled scsi card to run both internal and external devices. The total lengths of your external cables plus the length of your internal cable (summed together will comprise your 'scsi bus') will affect performance. I have two external devices (totaling 6ft of cable) so I bought a separate card for them. My internal stuff--which includes an ultra-scsi hard drive--runs off its own controller. The existence of the ultra-scsi device is what made me get the new controller, since the spec has a limit of 7ft or so for a scsi bus (not exactly sure on this, there's more info on adaptec's site).

BTW, I know the Adaptec 2930AU (ultra scsi) works well with win2k, and can be had for less than $100.
Old 01-03-01, 01:26 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thought I'd give you all an update on what I'm thinking of doing.

I'm probably going to get the 2930U from www.Computers4Sure.com (~$85). They have a $20 off $100 coupon as well. To bring it up I may get the 128MB of PC133 Kingston RAM (~$60) to add to my existing 128MB. In the end it should be about $130 shipped for the 2 items.

------------------
Old 01-04-01, 11:11 PM
Mod Emeritus

Thought I'd give you all an update on what I'm thinking of doing.

I'm probably going to get the 2930U from www.Computers4Sure.com (~$85). They have a $20 off $100 coupon as well. To bring it up I may get the 128MB of PC133 Kingston RAM (~$60) to add to my existing 128MB. In the end it should be about $130 shipped for the 2 items.

<HR>

It looks like I'm gonna have to pay $160 (shipped) for the combo since it looks like there is no place to enter the coupon code (CPA00M). Before I do the order (with money I shouldn't be spending) I want to make sure this deal is worth the money.

------------------
Old 01-04-01, 11:40 PM
Needs to provide a working email

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Take a look at the Adaptec 2940 (AU model, I think it is). Maybe they have a more current model.

You only need 8-bit SCSI and no fast speed. And it has an external connector.

[This message has been edited by X (edited December 31, 2000).]
<HR>

Wow, Adaptec still sells the 2940U? That's the card I have, but it's several years old, and I would thought it to be discontinued long ago. Rock solid card, though. Even though it is years old, I feel no need to replace it.

Old 01-08-01, 09:57 PM
Mod Emeritus

I got the exact same combo for $126 and a little change (shipped) from buy.com using the new $30 off $150 coupon. Excellent deal if you ask me.

------------------