Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Need some decent (and cheap) MP3 conversion software...

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Need some decent (and cheap) MP3 conversion software...

Old 01-08-01, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need a program to take a bunch of MP3 files and re-encode them at a lower bitrate. That is to say, take all my MP3s for listening to on my computer (all at 128bps) and take them down to something much lower so I can fit more than half a dozen on an MP3 player. I could do this perfectly well by using WinAmp to convert them all back into .WAVs and then using my ripper program (Audiograbber) to turn them back into MP3s but at a lower bitrate, bu I'm sure there's got to be an easier way of doing this. Anyone have any experience with this kind of thing?

------------------
It's said that given infinite time, a million monkeys with typewriters would write the finest signature ever created.

This signature? Three monkeys, five minutes.
Old 01-08-01, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
spend $100 and buy the memorex mp3 cd player. works good, and holds 10 hours of music instead of 30 minutes like the 32 meg players

------------------
"I'm overworked but I'm undersexed" -Garbage 'Hammering In My Head'
Old 01-08-01, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thank you very much. Now, could somebody please answer the question I actually asked?

I already have the MP3 player (Christmas present) and it's very good, I just haven't got any MP3s at a low enough bitrate to make it useful; I have about 20 albums-worth of music saved on my hard drive for listening to while I use my computer; now I've got the player I just need an easy way of converting some of them into lower bitrate versions... Currently I have a whole 7 songs loaded on there, and having near CD-quality files played back through tinny little earphones is soemwhat overkill; I can happily live with cassette-level sound quality if it means I can fit loads more music on there...

------------------
It's said that given infinite time, a million monkeys with typewriters would write the finest signature ever created.

This signature? Three monkeys, five minutes.
Old 01-08-01, 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Good question. Wrong forum.

Moving to PC forum -randyc
Old 01-08-01, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This is the program I use. It does what you asked about and lots more. I like the feature on it that lets you change a group of track info in one button push. That way you can reorganize tracsks that you get from Napster, etc the way you want them.

Check it out.

http://www.musicmatch.com

------------------
-V.K. {Gold Trader}

"I hope we never lose sight of one thing, that this was all started by a mouse."
-Walt Disney

The reason my DVD player was the "most expensive" gift I've ever received.
Old 01-08-01, 07:22 PM
BT
DVD Talk Special Edition

Might I also suggest buying a memory card for your MP3 player with a larger storage capacity? From what you've said (that your MP3 player can hold only 6 songs at 128kbps) I think a larger memory card would alleviate your situation greatly.

Check out Smart Media, or Compact flash cards for additional storage for your MP3 player. (Just make sure you know exactly what kind of memory card your MP3 player uses before buying one).

Good luck!