Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Check out the hard drive quality argument going on in Bargains.

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Check out the hard drive quality argument going on in Bargains.

Old 01-07-01, 11:54 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Subject says it all.

http://talk.dvdtalk.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/017943.html
Old 01-08-01, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I guess they were afraid to ask anyone in this forum
Old 01-08-01, 06:55 AM

hmm ok guys. So who is right? I have a Maxtor drive myself and know next to nothing about computers so I got a bit worried after reading that thread.
Old 01-08-01, 09:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by craig_karriarist:
hmm ok guys. So who is right? I have a Maxtor drive myself and know next to nothing about computers so I got a bit worried after reading that thread.
<HR>

I have never had a problem with Maxtor drives and have even recomended them to other people and they had no problems either. I don't really know how far back they are referring to when they say Maxtor has a bad history, but I have an old ~400MB Maxtor drive kicking around that still works perfectly. I just never use it because it's has nothing to offer me.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-08-01, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

That is

There really isn't a BEST anymore. They have been driven down by price to offering joe six pack hard drives to the masses.

Each company has had it's cycle. I will give credit where credit is due, Western Digital had a really long run where they made some great drives (on both sides of that run they sucked/suck)

Seagate has ALWAYS had good and bad models available at the same time, you just need to know which models to buy and which to avoid.

Maxtor has sucked bad in the past, I mean really bad. They have since cleaned up their act and are no better or worse than the others. Since maxtors can be had cheap, they are better due to price.

Quantum (now owned by maxtor) has always had a decent drive. I do not remember a point where they flat out sucked. Again mark them up as average.

Fujitsu has never made anything right, 'nuff said

IBM, again big down periods, some small up periods, right now they are average.

Anyone remember Kalok? X-? thought I would bring that up for a laugh

How about Connor? They were good drives, don't know where they stand today.

Micropolis, again a once OK company, OK drive, don't know where they stand today.

Toshiba, almost forgot about them. I am pretty sure they still make drives (model MK-somthing somthing) use to be really good, not sure where they stand today.

all this is based on quality alone, each drive has it's own idea of speed and noise level. Some are faster then others, even though the specs read equal, and some make more noise than others. If the noise bothers you, get a better case

Bottom line, buy what is cheap and has a good warranty, back your stuff up.

Most of the big guys have an easy to deal with warranty. Maxtor, WD, and Seagate have a very simple and fast turn around on defects (or hard drives you happen to drop)

Every hard drive will eventually fail, NO EXCEPTIONS, back your stuff up if you care.
Old 01-08-01, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
See, I told you avout those Maxtor drives didn't I.
Old 01-08-01, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by eXcentris:
See, I told you avout those Maxtor drives didn't I.
<HR>

Old 01-08-01, 02:45 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
Anyone remember Kalok? X-? thought I would bring that up for a laugh

How about Connor? They were good drives, don't know where they stand today.
<HR>

Kalok -- that brings back memories. For about a second which how long they lasted. Removable cartridge drives and some promising technology that went nowhere.

Connor -- bought out by Seagate to eliminate the competition (well, more of a mercy purchase), and Connor was slowly going down anyway. The Connor line's technology went into Seagates low-end drives and is probably responsible for their sucking so bad now.
Old 01-08-01, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
Kalok -- that brings back memories. For about a second which how long they lasted. Removable cartridge drives and some promising technology that went nowhere.
<HR>

LOL be fair, 1 out of 10 went a whole minute before it crashed

quote:<HR>

Connor -- bought out by Seagate to eliminate the competition (well, more of a mercy purchase), and Connor was slowly going down anyway. The Connor line's technology went into Seagates low-end drives and is probably responsible for their sucking so bad now.
<HR>

Wow, I never knew that. I remember connor as being really good around the 80mb to 100mb range then they disapeared.
Old 01-08-01, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Quantum (now owned by maxtor) has always had a decent drive.
<HR>

Even the Quantum Bigfoot? When I worked as a tech in retail, those things used to come in dead all the time. The only thing worse was the JTS Champ.

------------------
"And his eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming..."
Have you played Atari today?
Old 01-08-01, 03:06 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Goblincat:
Even the Quantum Bigfoot?
<HR>

That was an abomination. Way out of the realm of sucking. It was more like a big floppy disk.
Old 01-08-01, 03:22 PM
Mod Emeritus

Wow, I never knew that. I remember connor as being really good around the 80mb to 100mb range then they disapeared.
<HR>

I think we have some of these (same size rage) hanging around the house. I might even have one of these as a doorstop (if not, it's a Quantum).

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-08-01, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Goblincat:
Even the Quantum Bigfoot? When I worked as a tech in retail, those things used to come in dead all the time. The only thing worse was the JTS Champ.

<HR>

I was trying to speak in general. No company has made every make/model perfect. Everyone has skeletons, that is part of my point.