Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Ubuntu 9.10 / Karmic Koala Anyone tried this OS alternative?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Old 10-29-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

http://www.ubuntu.com/

Version 9.10 (Karmic Koala) dropped today.

<hr>

Anyone try this yet? I've never played around with Linux but had some old spare hardware that I could throw this on. It's installing now.
Old 10-29-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Ubuntu 9.10 / Karmic Koala Anyone tried this OS alternative?

I've been playing with Ubuntu 9.04 for a while, I find it very impressive.

Last edited by Nifty03; 10-29-09 at 01:26 PM.
Old 10-29-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I gave it a go for a while on my basement PC but ended up having a few problems that made me switch back to W2k on it.
First it never seemed to get the audio right. Audio sounded like it was being output at 22.05khz instead of 44.1 (very tinny sounding). Tried a bunch of things and it just never sounded right.
I then tried a later build and had a problem where my wireless keyboard/mouse combo with the mouse pointer jumping around constantly on screen. I then tried it one more time but it went crazy when I tried to install the ATI graphics drivers (wouldn't boot suddenly which it had no problem with the previous times I tried them on past installs).

Ultimately there's a lot to like if you can get it running properly on your hardware. If I had gotten it to work properly I easily could have used it as the OS on my basement machine (just used for browsing, playing music, and the occasional video).
Old 10-29-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Yea, I can't print on my printer, and there are no ATI video drivers for cards older than the X1900 (I believe) but for free it is really nice.
Old 10-29-09, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 210 Posts

My wife uses a custom install of Ubunto 8.10 (Intrepid) on an OLPC XO. It works well enough.

I tried Ubuntu on a desktop before, and I prefer Mint, which is a Linux Distro based on Ubuntu, but aimed at being a bit more user-friendly. Their laster version is Mint 7, based on Ubuntu 9.04. Linux 8, based on Ubuntu 9.10, is due out in November.
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Note that both Ubuntu and Mint have a method for installing on an Windows PC without eliminating Windows or re-partitioning the drive. Instead, it installs to an image file stored on the Windows partition, and you choose at boot whether to load Linux or Windows.

In Ubuntu this feature is called Wubi, and in Mint it's Mint4Win. Just autoplay the LiveCD from within Windows:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wubi_%2...u_installer%29
Old 10-30-09, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm typing this on the Ubuntu machine. The install (obv) went OK --- I just reformatted a drive. It was an old PC with data I didn't need. However, I can't manage to install the two things I'd like: XChat and Flash.
Old 10-30-09, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 282 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
I can't manage to install the two things I'd like: XChat and Flash.
Are you using Synaptic (Add/Remove Software utility) to install them?
Old 10-30-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If they are not showing up in the Add/Remove you may need to Enable the repositories.

1) Enable the repositories

Every time I do a fresh install of Ubuntu, the first thing that I do is to enable the universe, multiverse, backport and Canonical’s ‘partner’ repositories. These repositories open up new application choices and allows you to install popular third party software easily and quickly.

Go to System -> Administration -> Synaptic Package Manager.

Click on Settings -> Repositories.

Checked all the boxes.

Go to the Third-Party Software tab. Check all the boxes too.

Close the window and press the Reload button at the top left corner to update the repositories.
9 Things You Need To Do/Install After Installing Ubuntu 9.04
Old 10-30-09, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice --- that solved my problems. The computer is a bit too old to go onto YouTube... Everything moves like a slideshow. But it's installed. And XChat works.
Old 10-30-09, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm running it on a computer with an ATI X1300 and Youtube is bad also, there is an open source ATI Driver for the older cards but I haven't been able to get it to work yet.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver
Old 10-30-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Do you by chance use it as a media server? Looks like Fuppes might work...
Old 10-30-09, 08:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

With the upgrade to 9.10 Youtube videos play just fine, and Mybrute.com works (didn't with 9.04) so they fixed some things for me.
Old 10-30-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use it on my HP mini netbook. The only thing that kind of annoys me over windows is the amount of time it takes to connect to my wireless. Seems like it's a good 30 seconds after it comes out of standby.
Old 10-31-09, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 196 Likes on 130 Posts

The built-in Empathy messaging client is nice, but the notification doesn't seem to work well. It seems that you'll only get notification (via a bubble) if the app is minimized to the taskbar - and the bubble only stays up for 5 seconds. If you close the app (but not quit it), you wont get any notification at all - and you'll only notice someone messaged you when you open that person's message window.

None of the preferences seem to fix the issue.

Empathy can work with 17 different messenger services, but it doesn't do something as basic as notification well? Odd, especially since it's the default client and integrated with the OS.

Anyone else have the same issue? Any fix for it?
Old 10-31-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am looking at getting at getting into Linux, is there any bonus to installing on its own partition and a true dual boot?

If not I may just give the Wubi thing a try.
Old 10-31-09, 07:10 PM

shadowhawk,
Some of the disadvantages of Wubi are... (copied from Ubuntu Forums)

1. Disk performance is slightly slower. You should not be able to notice any difference under normal circumstances. The problem becomes more evident if you have little memory and use swap a lot or if your windows partition is very fragmented. It should be still far faster than under a typical VM or LiveCD.

2. The filesystem is less reliable than in a real installation. This is because you have 2 filesystems nested within each other which makes it more vulnerable than ntfs or ext3 taken individually. This can be an issue if you hard reboot (unplugging the power). Hard reboots are never ever a good idea, but even less so in wubi. We have taken some measures to minimize the risk (and will add a couple of tricks to next build), so that hard reboots can be better tolerated, but the rule of thumb is: do not hard reboot. In linux there are alt+sysrq key combinations if you get stack for any reason.

3. Hibernation / Suspend does not work properly. We are looking into this with the help of some ubuntu kernel devs. Either that will be fixed or hibernation/suspend will be disabled.

A side issue is that with wubi people tend to allocate less disk space than they would with a normal installation (since they take it as a trial and then keep using it). Of course if the free space is over, it is going to create issues, but that is hardly our fault. We are looking into ways to expand virtual disks, but that would be a separate app anyway. That said in linux you can create a link from a folder within a real partition to a folder within a virtual disk, thus alleviating the pain.

In short: allocate enough space, do not hard reboot and do not suspend/hibernate. Other than that it should be the full monty: same speed (other than for #1), same hardware support/detection, same behavior, same software. A small trade-off considering that we* provide what can possibly be considered the easiest OS installer ever created, whatever the OS.

As for long term use, I would consider wubi as a mid-term solution. You can use it happily for weeks and months, but because of the 3 issues above, if you find yourself using Ubuntu quite heavily, you might want to do a full installation later on. That said tools exist to migrate virtual disks to a real partition (LVPM by tuxcantfly). Migration should be quite smooth (that should result in an installation which is 100% identical to a standard one while keeping your data and settings).

If you have a free partition or a spare hard disk and are confident about partitioning and ISO burning there is no much reason to use Wubi, just go straight for the full installation via live CD. But for people that do not know what a partition is, wubi is probably the best solution to date, particularly once tools such as LVPM reach final status. I hope that wubi will bring a small revolution to Linux installers and hence to Linux adoption, similar to what Knoppix/LiveCD did a few years ago', and I would not be too surprised to see Wubi clones implemented by other *nix distros in the near future.

FYI: Wubi will hopefully become an official installation method by next Ubuntu release and we will "merge" with Ubuntu. Even though the recommended long term installation will still be based on the current LiveCD installer (with partitioning), Wubi installer will also be available on the official CD and as a separate download. By Gutsy we will use the LiveCD ISO as opposed to the Alternate ISO as a source of packages and the installer will be fully "graphical".
Old 10-31-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The way I did it was to install Ubuntu on a separate HD than Windows while the Windows HD was disconnected, then (with ASUS Motherboards at least) I hit F8 during post to select the Ubuntu HD. The Computer will just boot into windows if I don't do anything. Windows doesn't even see the Ubuntu HD. I did this mostly because it was on the wife's desktop and she wouldn't want to have to choose which OS to boot into.
Old 10-31-09, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've played with linux on the desktop on and off and ran Ubuntu in a VM a few months ago. if you want a desktop UNIX get a Mac. Linux on the desktop sucks unless you work at ILM and actually have software to run
Old 11-02-09, 01:16 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i've played with linux on the desktop on and off and ran Ubuntu in a VM a few months ago. if you want a desktop UNIX get a Mac. Linux on the desktop sucks unless you work at ILM and actually have software to run

Uhm linux sucks? Seriously????? Here are a few screens of my linux box. I prefer it of my macbook pro by far. It will even run windows applications. just do not have the urge to do much out of the cloud.

Oh to the poster above that talked about audio issues. For the most part pulse audio is really nice now. Have had no issues with it on the 5 machines loaded 9.10 on.

So far as printers. I am betting a Lexmark inkjet?? The support is a little lacking there, but good news is almost every hp is good to go.

Normal firefox open

Opening up chrome

Minimizing firefox

Last edited by Romero; 11-02-09 at 01:26 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Been running ShittyP Pro Corporate since...well...forever. I was very tempted to switch over to Windows 7 after the favorable reviews and comments from a couple of friends who got in on the beta test.

I had also looked into a few Linux variants. Well, couldn't justify the cost to switch 4 PC's to Windows 7 (no deals to be had for 7 Pro) and a co-worker had just started using Ubuntu (Jaunty) and really liked it. So I waited for Karmic Koala to release and have loaded the Netbook Remix (dual boot with XP Home)onto my Samsung NC10. I have been really impressed. Love the layout and the free software "store" that makes it so easy to find apps.

My only problem is that Kodak won't get off their butts and support Linux so I cannot utilize my ESP9 printer. Not too big a deal for me as I mostly just print photos which can be done directly through the printer via memory cards. But, as my wife prints her lesson plans and such directly from school software on her netbook I will leave hers as is.

I will be loading it in dual boot config on my other two PC's. I have all my photos/movies/music on separate partitions than the OS so accessing all my media between OS's will be no problem.

Ubuntu get's a big thumbs up from me!
Old 11-02-09, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 427 Likes on 339 Posts

I'm running a triple boot laptop (1.4GHz C2D, 2GB Ram, GeForce (I think it's a 8300M GS, may be 8400)) right now with Windows 7 / Mac OS X (Leopard, haven't changed to Snow Leopard yet) / Ubuntu 9.10, all 3 have their advantages (Ubuntu runs the best (but lacks support of the commercial ones), Mac OS really does have some excellent editing tools (plus iTunes runs way better) and Windows 7 is my overall favorite thanks to ease of doing what I want to do versus what the OS thinks I should do.)

It isn't about having Unix on your PC so much as just having a solid operating system that runs a lot of applications. Sure, you're SOL if you want a true gaming platform but it does everything most people need it to and for free. No complaints from me.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-02-09 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-02-09, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Romero View Post
Uhm linux sucks? Seriously????? Here are a few screens of my linux box. I prefer it of my macbook pro by far. It will even run windows applications. just do not have the urge to do much out of the cloud.

Snip
So, to you, a good OS is one with pretty effects. I think Windows 7 has that covered.
Old 11-02-09, 10:03 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Nifty03 View Post
So, to you, a good OS is one with pretty effects. I think Windows 7 has that covered.
Nope to me a good os is one that can customize, and not a typhoid mary. Windows 7 is kind of cute.With the beer goggles on, but don't forget to double wrap it.
Old 11-02-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post
i've played with linux on the desktop on and off and ran Ubuntu in a VM a few months ago. if you want a desktop UNIX get a Mac.
Mac OS X isn't beer/speech free.