Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Windows 98 upgrading question

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Windows 98 upgrading question

Old 01-07-01, 09:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hello, I am using win 95 but need to upgrade to 98 cause 95 does not have USB support. IF I upgrade to 98, will it keep my existing data or will it completely wipe out the hard drive? thanks
Old 01-07-01, 09:24 PM
Buffetman

Are you going to format your hard drive? If so then yes you will lose any info. If you are upgrading, not sure. Sorry I couldn't help.
Old 01-07-01, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually if you have Windows 95 "B" or "C", you will have USB Support. Unfortunately most companies don't care and only make drivers for 98 and above. Upgrading will keep all your files (and preferences). "Formatting" and starting from scratch will erase files

John
Old 01-07-01, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Moving to Computer forum...

randyc
Old 01-07-01, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

the win 98 upgrade is supposed to keep everything intact. i would backup important files that are not replacable anyway. things can happen to cause data loss during an upgrade.
Old 01-07-01, 10:48 PM

Wow, kinda funny, I actually decided after 2 years to wipe this box of 95 and install Win98SE. It went off without a hitch (so far). Just had one problem with my burner which seemed to be fixed by installing a newer version of Adaptec CD Creator. I backed up everything I needed except I somehow managed to get an older version of my Netscape bookmark file Good thing I had a somewhat early backup as part of my homepage files. I also lost my ICQ list which was in a version from 97 I think so the DB converter didn't do me any good.

Anyway.... the best thing is to Fdisk, reformat, and start with a clean install. My advice to you is to make sure you find all up to date drivers for your hardware. This box I'm using had an old Monster 3DII and Ensoniq Audio card. Found some drivers so they would work without a hitch. Good luck

------------------
---------
Boy..., you know I gotta weight problem, I can't wait to eat!
---------

Land of Taliboubou