Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Hard Drives...Maxtor vs. Western Digital vs. Fujitsu ... HELP !!

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Hard Drives...Maxtor vs. Western Digital vs. Fujitsu ... HELP !!

Old 01-04-01, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, I am looking for a 30-40 Gig hard drive.

I want a fast,reliable drive. Now fast, is 7200 RPM (the best?). But reliable is ... ?

What do you use ?? and with which drive should I spend my $$ ?

Thanks
Old 01-04-01, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I just bought a 40 gig Western Digital internal 7200. Nice and fast, no problems as of yet!!!
Old 01-04-01, 08:52 PM
Mod Emeritus

Maxtor. Reliable and fast.

------------------
DVD-ROM & Computer Forum Moderator - [email protected]
DVD-ROM FAQ - Jason's Digital Domain - AIM: northrupjason
Old 01-04-01, 09:22 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I prefer the Maxtor DiamondMax. But I believe Fujitsu is good too -- I just haven't had enough experience with it -- the one I've had was very solid.

I've seen too many bad Western Digital drives to own one myself.
Old 01-04-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My Dell laptop had a Fujitsu 20gig HDD and after just 1 month, its began giving scrathing noise, sometimes very loud until you can headaches, so got a replacement and the new one is from IBM and its quiet and good.Dont take Fujitsu.
Old 01-04-01, 09:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You forgot IBM deskstar

Believe it or not, now days they all have about the same failure rate, except fujitsu, they suck.

I would get prices for maxtor, WD, IBM and buy the cheapest one. It is all a crap shoot.

You want a HIGH quality drive now days you need to buy a high end scsi unit.
Old 01-04-01, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can vouch for Western Digital. Never had any problems with them.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-04-01, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Maxtor rocks! The Diamondmax Plus 7200 rpm 40GB drive is under $200 now. A++

J
Old 01-04-01, 10:24 PM
X
Administrator

About a year ago Western Digital had a huge batch of drives that went bad after about a month's use. I mean, they were just plain crap. Dell was a major consumer of those drives and had some big problems replacing them.

Western Digital drives that I had in Dell machines always sounded like they were going to rattle themselves to death. Saw a high rate of fatalities too. I just don't know what would have made WD produce a better drive now. I doubt they have opened new plants or developed much new technology.
Old 01-04-01, 10:49 PM
Mod Emeritus

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
About a year ago Western Digital had a huge batch of drives that went bad after about a month's use. I mean, they were just plain crap. Dell was a major consumer of those drives and had some big problems replacing them.
<HR>

They did have a problem with a large batch. But, IMO, that doesn't mean that the don't generally produce a quality product. IMO, most the major makers have products which are more alike in terms of quality than not. I personally don't care much for the Fujitsu, but would readily buy Maxtor, WD, Seagate, or IBM.

------------------
D.

[This message has been edited by Dead (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-04-01, 10:52 PM
X
Administrator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dead:
They did have a problem with a large batch. But, IMO, that doesn't mean that the don't generally produce a quality product. IMO, most the major makers have products which are more alike in terms of quality than not. I personally don't care much for the Fujitsu, but would readily buy Maxtor, WD, Seagate, or IBM.
<HR>

Well, I guess that's what makes a market. Luckily not everybody likes the same thing or it would cost too much and be too hard to get.
Old 01-04-01, 11:48 PM
Needs to provide a working email

I've used several different brands of hard drives-- Maxtor, Western Digital, Segate, possibly another that I don't recall. I've never had a failed drive or even a failed sector with any of them, so I have no complaints about any of them.

My 8 GB Western Digital finally became too cramped for me and last Saturday I went shopping for a new drive. My older system only recognizes HDs up to 36 GB, so I needed one that size or smaller. Office Depot had two 30 GB models-- a Maxtor for $129 and a Western Digital for $139. Both were 7200 RPM, both were ATA 100. I thought about paying the $10 extra for the Western Digital, but then decided that there probably wasn't enough difference to matter and bought the Maxtor. I'm pleased with it.

And, BTW, 7200 RPM is only the limit in EIDE. In SCSI, you can get them in 10,000 RPM and, recently, all the way to friggin' 15,000 RPM.

[This message has been edited by Darren Garrison (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-05-01, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Dead:
, Seagate,
<HR>

Be carful with the cheap seagates, the medalist line really sucks. The higher end ones are ok though, point is don't price hunt for the seagate brand.
Old 01-05-01, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
One thing I can tell you is don't buy Maxtor drives if you have a RAID setup (specifically Abit KT7-Raid). I kept having corrupt files at startup and having to re-format/re-install everything. Then I read that I wasn't the only one with that problem... All problems went away after I exchanged the drives for 2 Western Digital drives. I personally would have bought IBM Desktar 75 GXP drives but the store I bought my PC from did not carry them. WD's are working fine so far.
Old 01-05-01, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by eXcentris:
One thing I can tell you is don't buy Maxtor drives if you have a RAID setup (specifically Abit KT7-Raid). I kept having corrupt files at startup and having to re-format/re-install everything. Then I read that I wasn't the only one with that problem... All problems went away after I exchanged the drives for 2 Western Digital drives. I personally would have bought IBM Desktar 75 GXP drives but the store I bought my PC from did not carry them. WD's are working fine so far.
<HR>

BETTER ADVICE here would be to stay away from ABIT. Trust me Anyone that does not work with a company as mainstream and common as maxtor is suckekekekeekeke!!
Old 01-05-01, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

4KRG . I have found maxtor drives to be reliable. I am sad to see them not work in abit motherboard's using raid.
Old 01-05-01, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

BETTER ADVICE here would be to stay away from ABIT. Trust me Anyone that does not work with a company as mainstream and common as maxtor is suckekekekeekeke!!
<HR>

And (cough cough) you assume this is an Abit problem? So how come ONLY maxtor drives seem to have problems with this board? Personally, I believe the 7200 ATA 100 Maxtor drive are not built well enough to take the pounding from a Raid setup.

Old 01-05-01, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by gcribbs:
4KRG . I have found maxtor drives to be reliable. I am sad to see them not work in abit motherboard's using raid.
<HR>

They are NO more or less reliable than any other drive in their price range.

Old 01-05-01, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And (cough cough) you assume this is an Abit problem? So how come ONLY maxtor drives seem to have problems with this board? Personally, I believe the 7200 ATA 100 Maxtor drive are not built well enough to take the pounding from a Raid setup.

<HR>

Funny I run maxtor ide ata 100 drives on my highpoint 3270 raid controller with no problems, SOYO motherboard (I tried to tell you, but you wouldn't listen) now you are in denial. THIS IS AN ABIT PROBLEM among others. Dell uses maxtor hard drives in most of their higher end systems. Dell is very particular about what they use for hardware (hence no AMD option from them either)

Please do not dispute the obvious. Maxtor drives have the highest compatibility level with mainstream hardware.

On the internet everyone is a computer expert
Old 01-05-01, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

4KRG,

You have to do something about that Abit paranoia, it's not healthy.

Seriously, I know you are correct. For PC's at work and if you're completely computer illiterate, get a P3 and Asus CUSL2 or SOYO motherboard. AMD/Abit are fine for home use and if you are good at problem resolution.

I think that sometimes you tend to forget that not everyone is a business power PC user.
Old 01-05-01, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think that sometimes you tend to forget that not everyone is a business power PC user.
<HR>

Not true. I can't accept the fact that people buy inferrior products by choice

It irks me to buy something that is not quality and I can not understand how other people do it and don't care or don't mind.

Buying business PC's is one thing, home PC's another, but either way you should want them to work, no?

Old 01-05-01, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well it's not like I'm sitting here now using an abacus is it? My system is stable now and I've had no problem whatsoever since I put the new hard drives in. I don't think it's fair to blame all incompatibility problems on AMD and Abit. Microsoft is a mainstream company too you know.
Old 01-05-01, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well it's not like I'm sitting here now using an abacus is it? My system is stable now and I've had no problem whatsoever since I put the new hard drives in. I don't think it's fair to blame all incompatibility problems on AMD and Abit. Microsoft is a mainstream company too you know.
<HR>

just like a cornered rat I never said microsoft was without fault. When you consider the wide array of CRAP they must program for they do an impressive job. ABIT can not even get compatability with one of the TOP hard drive makers (btw- maxtor is MUCH MUCH larger a supplier of drives than Western Digital could ever hope to be) makes no sense But justify it as you will, I see my keystrokes are wasted here
Old 01-06-01, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:

I see my keystrokes are wasted here
<HR>

So how does the new fairing look?
Old 01-06-01, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So how does the new fairing look?
<HR>

I was just joking with ya Canadians all you know is beer

The fairing looks good, but it is crooked. One of the brackets did not fit exactly right and it has been too cold here to play with it anymore. I can fix it, but I must get creative.

hmmmm maybe I can make a bracket out of an Athlon, at least put it to some good use

[This message has been edited by 4KRG (edited January 05, 2001).]

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.