Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Quality of cheap big monitors?

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Quality of cheap big monitors?

Old 01-03-01, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't want to hijack smokedragon's thread, so I'm starting this related one. He got a pretty cheap 19" monitor, and I'm thinking about doing the same thing, but I'm wondering about the quality. Sure you usually get what you pay for, but it seems like this is one thing where a casual user like me would hardly notice a difference. I surf and play a few games (old ones like Dark Forces (still!), Outlaws, and Half Life), but that's no more than 10 hours/week. So it's not like it'd get a ton of use. So is going cheap on a 19" monitor OK in my case? Any recommendations/advice? Thanks!
Old 01-03-01, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would not do it, but I am wierd that way.

Buying a CHEAP monitor is different from getting a good deal on a quality monitor.

I have seen 19" monitors for $150, not worth it by a long shot.

This is my preferred budget 19" monitor

http://192.216.185.10/mwave/doc/609481.html

Viewsonic for < $300. Mwave is a good online vendor to deal with too (at least my experience has been good)

Do yourself (and your eyes) a favor and do not purchase a CHEAP monitor.
Old 01-03-01, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
quote:<HR>Originally posted by 4KRG:
I would not do it, but I am wierd that way.

Buying a CHEAP monitor is different from getting a good deal on a quality monitor.

I have seen 19" monitors for $150, not worth it by a long shot.

This is my preferred budget 19" monitor

http://192.216.185.10/mwave/doc/609481.html

Viewsonic for < $300. Mwave is a good online vendor to deal with too (at least my experience has been good)

Do yourself (and your eyes) a favor and do not purchase a CHEAP monitor.
<HR>

...but what if the monitor is .28dots/inch with real high screen resolution? Wouldn't the quality be the same regardless?

Old 01-03-01, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

quote:<HR>Originally posted by dvdsteve2000:
...but what if the monitor is .28dots/inch with real high screen resolution? Wouldn't the quality be the same regardless?

<HR>

NO

These are specs put on paper to impress you. I can show you 12 different .28 dot pitch 1024X768 @ 75hz monitors and they will all look different, some better than others.

In the computer world, specs on paper are only 50% of the information you need to make an educated purchase. Companies feed off this cause most people do not realize it and think they can compare specs and ALWAYS end up better off with better specs.

I hate sony! Their trinitron monitors look fantastic and hold up well over time. They cost much more than PIKXIE brand monitors with the same specs, they look much better too. This is hard to explain, but same holds true with TV's, it is just more noticible on a PC monitor.

Old 01-03-01, 10:56 PM

I wholeheartedly agree with 4KRG. For example, many monitor manufacturers use Hitachi, Sony, and Mitsubishi tubes in their monitors. As a result, the cheaper monitors can boast the same resolution, dot pitch, etc. as the costlier, better monitors. However, while the cheaper monitors may have the same identical tubes, their electrical components can vary significantly. A monitor's electronics can determine its video bandwidth, geometry, and focus. In order to cut prices, cheaper monitors may sacrifice quality with regard to the electronics that drive/align the tube and hence produce much poorer pictures.

Old 01-03-01, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've found one thing from experience. Cheap things are usually just that. Beware.

------------------
Regards...
Drinker of much Pepsi, trainer of Dingo's and Jack's Aussie Moonshine importer...
John 3:16
Old 01-05-01, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I understand going cheap on PC components because of frequent upgrades but a monitor?
Dude, that's the only thing that will last a long time so NEVER go the cheap route when buying a monitor.
Old 01-05-01, 09:04 PM
X
Administrator

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My rule is get the best you can afford for the human interface -- monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound. They tend to stay worth the investment for a long time and your body will thank you.
Old 01-05-01, 10:02 PM

Thanks folks. I'll definitely take your advice and won't go the cheap route. I appreciate the advice from obvious professionals in the field. Keep up the great contributions!
Old 01-06-01, 05:25 PM
Super Moderator

quote:<HR>Originally posted by X:
My rule is get the best you can afford for the human interface -- monitor, keyboard, mouse, sound. They tend to stay worth the investment for a long time and your body will thank you.
<HR>

This is what I have been saying to people also. Why use a $5 mouse and the $7 keyboard?

Buy the best interface parts.

I think the Viewsonic line has some good large monitors that are not too expensive. I replaced a much higher end 21" with a Viewsonic G810, and I was impressed enough that I now own 3 of them. $710 each.

Randy

Old 01-06-01, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just thought I would add, I do like the Viewsonic monitors. Good value and performance.