Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Modem not working

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Modem not working

Old 01-05-01, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All right, I need some major help. A few weeks ago, my modem (motorola, internal) on my Gateway (400 mhz, 128 megs ram, 10 gig, running win98) stopped working. After a few tests, I assumed that I needed to get anew one. SO I went and got a Creative modem and installed it. Everything was set up fine, but the new modem also didn't work. I get the same error messag: Modem can not detect dial tone. All the cables are hooked up securely and I tested the phone line, which was fine. Now, the funny thing is, when I click on properties, it says that the comm port is open. I took out both modems, rebooted and then reinstalled first the orignal modem and tried it. It didn't work. The error message said the same thing; Modem can not detect dial tone. Also, it said that the comm port was open. I took the modem back out and reinstalled the new one. Same problem same error message. Could there be a glitch with windows? Or could it be that MSN Explorer is the problem? The modem doesn't dial, either. Any suggestions?
Old 01-05-01, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i assume you deleted the old modem before putting in the new modem. do you see any conflicts? anything sharing the same irq. did you check to see what dial up networking is using for a modem. open my computer , open dial up networking, right click once on the dial up connection you use then go to properties and see what modem you are using. you can change it from here. if you do not windows seems to try using the same old one even if it is not there .
Old 01-05-01, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Windows 98

Win98 does have a bug that rears it's ugly head every once in a while. I have seen it about 3 times where no matter what you do the modem never works right again. Re-installing from ground zero (read:format) is the only way to fix it.

If all the obvious steps fail, remove modem, reinstall modem, remove com port, reinstall com port, update drivers, etc ,etc then a format and re-install is your last step, enjoy