Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Tech Talk
Reload this Page >

Sony CDRW and Adaptec EZ-CDCreator

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Sony CDRW and Adaptec EZ-CDCreator

Old 01-03-01, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, here is goes...

I have a Sony 140E CDRW (8-4-32) and I am using adaptec 4.0 software with it.

The problem:

This happens every time!!! When I go to update the software to the latest version, adaptec stops recongizing my drive. So, I do the logical thing and uninstall it and go back to the version that works, right? Wrong! Now no version of the software will see my drive.

The following doesn't fix it:

1. Reinstalling Windows,
2. Restoring an older copy of the registry,
3. Removing all files related to adaptec,
4. Installing a really old version of adaptec,
5. Installing the deluxe version vs. standard,
6. Upgrading to a newer version of windows (98 to Me) or back,
7. Removing the system devices and reloading them,

The only thing that fixes it is to format and I do not want to do that, again!

Please Help Me!!!

Adaptec and Sony totally suck. They never return emails.

Thank you in advance.
Old 01-03-01, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Fun stuff... try NERO burning rom instead, it works real good. I forget the site though and it's not free... for your problem I really don't know why it would be doing that
Old 01-03-01, 11:10 PM

I know this doesn't help your current problem, but I had repeated trouble with Adaptec for a very long time. I switched over to Nero and haven't had any problems since.
Old 01-03-01, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, the problem is most likely with your computer rather than your burner. Adaptec likes to install its own ASPI layer (a drive interface language for CDRs and such) which must be conflicting with your Win configuration.

I can install EZ CD, but the program will never fully start because 'Engine Init Failed' always pops up as a symptom of the same ASPI conflict.

You need to download a program called aspichk.exe which will inspect for faults in the DLLs.

Uhmm, the only place I can think of off hand that has this is: http://www.angelfire.com/extreme/dcheaven/ (look in the apps section, labeled as ASPI Driver Updater). The default windows version of ASPI (rather than the adaptec version) uses slightly different dll names, and I, unfortunately, have no idea how to back up to it if this doesn't work.

[This message has been edited by BigPete (edited January 03, 2001).]
Old 01-04-01, 01:32 AM

Thanks BigPete,

Here is the link and program on Adaptec's site:

http://www.adaptec.com/support/files/upgrades.html

It shows that 3 of the files are old versions and one is not even there. Now, I am running Windows ME and the program that is supposed to fix this problem "ASPI32.EXE"
is not for Win ME.

So Close, Yet So Far Away.
Old 01-04-01, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Actually, BigBot ... you may still have the Windows layer installed (not the Adaptec) which *should* be just fine (sounds exactly like my computer's resposnse to the prog). Hmmm ... don't poke around too much with that yet.

Does your whole computer stop recognizing the drive or just EZCD? In all honesty, if it is just adaptec, EZ Cd really isn't worth it. I have no idea what will happen if ASPI really dies, so be careful ...

Don't tell anybody, but if you go to that first link i posted (now fixed), you can get at least two other programs much better than EZCD ...
Old 01-04-01, 02:45 AM

I just went on a aspi driver search and found everything I needed. Most were in the Windows cabs. But, that didn't work. I think I am going to burn my adaptec software disks.

Everything else in my system work fine. I loaded the sony cd software and it works fine.

Oh, thanks for the site. I have a few of those myself. (Cool Sites that is).
Old 01-04-01, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bigbot:
I just went on a aspi driver search and found everything I needed. Most were in the Windows cabs. But, that didn't work. I think I am going to burn my adaptec software disks.

Everything else in my system work fine. I loaded the sony cd software and it works fine.

Oh, thanks for the site. I have a few of those myself. (Cool Sites that is).
<HR>

Just out of curiosity, did you check for an upgrade to your CD-ROM firmware? I have a Ricoh that wouldn't work with Adaptec until I upgraded the firmware and Easy-CD to 4.03.
That might be your problem?
Old 01-04-01, 12:08 PM

When I first ran into this problem I went and found a firmware update for the drive, but ofcourse that didn't fix the problem.

It's not so much of it not working, but I hate not knowing why. and how to fix it.

Oh, Updating to 4.03 is what started it this time. That is what I find stupid, the update is supposed to add more support not take it away.

[This message has been edited by Bigbot (edited January 04, 2001).]
Old 01-05-01, 04:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by Bigbot:
Oh, Updating to 4.03 is what started it this time. That is what I find stupid, the update is supposed to add more support not take it away.
<HR>

I remember reading on the Adaptec site that not everyone should upgrade right now. You were probably one of the few who shouldn't have updated. Obviously you must be missing something when you try to delete it and go back to the older version which is why a reformat works. I feel for you. If you do decide to format, don't go for the 4.03 upgrade.