Question about Burning Music CDs

Tech Talk Discuss PC Hardware, Software, Internet and Other Technology

Question about Burning Music CDs

Old 12-29-00, 12:58 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello,
I want to know is it advisable/OK to write
audio CDs at 12X speed with TDK VeloCD writer?
I got scratching sounds in few CDs. I have already returned the CDs borrowed from differnet people. S I don't know wheather they were on original soundtrack.
Another thing is media. I used 4X Imation CDRs(From OutPost.com) for burning these CDRs. So is that the reason behind (Using 4X media to burn at 12X speed) this screetching
sound?
I remember reading somewhere that it is ok to write DATA at higher speeds but, for music burning should be done at BELOW 4X SPEED.
Any thoughts?

Thanks
Old 12-29-00, 01:02 PM

I can't wait to take advantage of this bargain

[This message has been edited by Rock Lives (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 01:05 PM

Sorry, I was a jerk there. I heard that your processor speed determines the quality that you should burn your discs at. I don't have a source for this, and I could be completely wrong.
Old 12-29-00, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

ibtl

------------------
Most People Don'T Plan To Fail, They Just Fail to Plan
The Other Forum Festivus Hoard!
ConeheadBuddha Rules
Old 12-29-00, 01:59 PM

rahu,

The jits you heard were most likely because you didn't rip the original audio properly using a nice jitter-free drive and/or software. Use the EAC (Exact Audio Copy) software to properly extract the CDDA.

If you did do the above, then your drive and/or computer is crap.
Old 12-29-00, 02:05 PM

Might be audio extraction problem, try extracting from same drive you are burning from, just do a test on a rewrite.

Frank
Old 12-29-00, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay this is in the wrong forum but, to answer your question....

When dealing with CD Audio it is best to burn no higher than 1x. Yes, you can burn at higher speeds but you will risk a bad quality copy in doing so.

I know many people that burn CD Audio at 4x but I wouldn't recommend it. My brother always uses 4x and I hear static and pops in many of the CDs he makes.

When I copy a music CD I always use 1x, however, if I am burning a music CD using WAV or MP3 files I will use 4x. Lately I have tested out 8x and it appears to be fine for WAV/MP3 to CD Audio. I will have to try going a little higher on the burn speed.

You may also want to pay attention to the burn speed suggested on the CD-R. Most are 4x or 8x. I would obey that restriction on faster burners because faster burn speeds could result in bad copies both in music and in data when you surpass the restrictions set forth by the CD-R manufacture.

Anyway, I hope this helps.

[This message has been edited by BadAsh (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 03:18 PM
Cool New Member

Thanks, dahacker
"Use the EAC (Exact Audio Copy) software to properly extract the CDDA"

I am using TDK VeloCD and their own software provided with their drive to burn my Music CDs. I use my 48X drive from Dell to extract audio.
Where to Find this "EAC"?

Thanks
Old 12-29-00, 04:27 PM

You can now burn safely as 12x with CD-RW so equipped with BURN-PROOF technology. This will prevent the buffer underruns that caused skips and such in the past.

I've been told that the Plextor 12x is the best. I saw it last week for $219 on buy.com and you can certainly use the $30 off $150 coupon to get it even cheaper.

http://www.us.buy.com/retail/product...252769&loc=101

[This message has been edited by microdvd (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

quote:<HR>Originally posted by microdvd:
You can now burn safely as 12x with CD-RW so equipped with BURN-PROOF technology. This will prevent the buffer underruns that caused skips and such in the past.
<HR>

I just got the Plextor burner your talking about last week. I haven't tried burning audio faster than 8x yet. I think that when burning Audio from WAV or MP3 to CD 12x would be fine but I wouldn't copy an Audio CD at that high burning speed.

The new Burn-Proof Technology is mainly for ensuring that if system processes lag the machine down that the burner takes that into consideration to ensure there are no buffer underruns.

Redbook Technology used in CD Audio Recordings doesn't provide much error correction. At high rates of speed the CD Burner software can not handle too many errors using Redbook Technology. The new Burn-Proof Technology will not help in this area.

If you want to read more about high speed CD-Recording check out this site:

http://www.emedialive.com/EM2000/starrett5.html

One thing you want to do is ensure that if you are making a CD to CD copy that you clean both the source and destination disc. While a CD Player can adjust playback to get around a speck of dust, a CD Burner can't and thus the output will be a blank bit in the CD causing a pop.

I have talked to many people on this subject and have researched many sites on the web. I still contend that if the system and burner are capable, you can safely burn at a high rate of speed if the source is a WAV or MP3 on your hard drive. If you are making direct copies from a source CD you should keep the burn speed low.

My reasoning there is that when you rip an Audio CD to MP3 or WAV better Error Correction can be used and you can control the output a little better. When you burn from CD to CD you don't have much control.

Alot of this all depends on your system too. If you have a fast CD Player, fast CD Burner, lots of RAM (Memory) and a fast processor you may not experience any problems. Please note the word MAY.

Your Sound Card plays a role as well. No, it isn't used during the burn but it is for playback on the computer. If your CD Player software doesn't processes the CD Digitally you may miss some of the underlying tracks during playback and not notice pops in the audio. That is why many people burn at high speeds and say "it works just fine" then they give a CD to a friend who is a true audiophile and when he/she plays it on their mondo stereo system it sounds like crap.

How likely is this case... who knows. You be the judge.

One note on burning MP3s direct to CD. Keep in mind that an MP3 must be decoded before writing to CD Audio. If you have a mediocre system you might not want to burn at too high a rate of speed. If you have lots of RAM this will not be a problem.

Sorry for the rambling... ya got me on a roll.

Nice topic... still, the wrong forum.

[This message has been edited by BadAsh (edited December 29, 2000).]
Old 12-29-00, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If the media is certified for higher speeds tests have again and again shown that higher speed CD-R recording does not propogate potential audible errors. In fact, as the link BadAsh's post indicates, often higher speeds create technically better recordings.

The 'scratching' sound you report is typical of an error in extraction or data corruption while as an AIFF or WAV file, or more often a result MP3 encoding/converting errors. If the error was on the disc itself it would likely sound more like a chirp or a skip. I would also recommend blowing off new media with canned air before writing to it.

------------------
My DVD Library
Old 12-30-00, 07:32 AM

quote:<HR>Originally posted by RAHU:
...I use my 48X drive from Dell to extract audio...
<HR>

This may be a contributing factor to the low quality results. You should try to create some MP3s with your Dell drive then with the TDK drive (I heard this drive rocks...fast and DAE is as good as the Plextor) and compare the results.

Burn speed and CD-R brand/quality has a factor in it as well as some others have mentioned.
Old 12-30-00, 01:54 PM

i thought 4x media cant be burned at 12x because when burning at 12x the laser beam is MUCH hotter and the 4x media can't withstand the heat generated????
Old 12-30-00, 02:18 PM
Registered

Moving to other forum

Geoff
Old 01-03-01, 07:08 PM
Cool New Member

I have one more question about burning Audio Cds.
I want burn a PURE audio CD, not a .WAV file
which has slightly sacrificed quality than actual .CDA format. And I want multiple input CDs as input. I want to save these CDA files on my PC. So that I can rearange the sequence of the songs.
There is an option to create CD Image on Hard Disk. But there is a problem. While burning my veloCD TDK 12-10-32 burned does not allow me to copy multiple images from the hard disk.
I have spent literally many hours to do this. Can somebody help me.
Thanks.
Is it possible?
Old 01-03-01, 07:28 PM
Uber Member

RAHU,

This type of question is best handled by the visitors to the DVD Rom and Computer forum.

I'm pretty sure someone there will be able to answer your question, but you might have to bump it up once or twice to get an answer.

Moving thread.

------------------
David, Administrator, Moderator of the Other Forum
I laughed, I cried, my life was changed: The Other Forum
My DVDs and HT Email: [email protected]
Old 01-03-01, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Home of the 2009 Stanley Cup & Vince Lombardi trophy!!!
I burn mp3's at a whopping 16X and don't have problems. I'm using the Yamaha EZ2100 16X10X40. Nothin' like bangin' out a disc in 3 minutes!! I haven't tossed one mp3 disc yet that didn't record properly.